1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on lowering on 19"s??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bjamin, May 11, 2012.

1. bjamin

bjamin New Member

[May 11, 2012]
    Just got myself some 19" on my A3 SE 2.0FSI hoping they would fill the wheel arch gap without lowering but now looks even worse, so now realising im gona have to drop her, the only thing is I had to fit 19mm spacers at the rear and the wheels poke
    out abit :keule:
    So was after some advice on how to solve this problem withouth rubbing, or scaficing the ride quality which is the best way to go about things.
    thanks for any feedback
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. moag

moag she's no d-turbo

[May 11, 2012]
    19mm spacers?! What spec are the 19s you fitted?

If the rears are poking then you probably only want a little drop to prevent damage to your arches. Eibach springs would be my choice, coupled with 225/35 or 215/35 tyres.
  4. bjamin

bjamin New Member

[May 11, 2012]
    They wouldn't fit without them, something behind the wheel not sure wot will have 2 whip them off to see, they did point it out made me feel in behind there was little clearance with them! Was thinking of springs but someone said that the stock shocks wouldn't handle it an the ride will be ****!
  5. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 11, 2012]
    I assume the rears are over ET60 if you had to fit 19mm spacers, and maybe 9" wide?

Anyway, it's a common misconception that 19s will fill the arches better. Most of the time, they just raise the car up an inch and make the gaps look worse (something to do with tyre wall and how your eye sees the rim against the arch). Tuck the rears in and get it lowered... 215/35 if 8", 225/35 if 8.5" or 9" wide. Also, look into less spacing. I'm keen to hear what wheels it is that you need such a step out.

As for ride, you're going to be better with good coilovers than springs along (from my experience the H&R springs are very bouncy) but some people have the same set up I do without the bounciness so just springs could work. You could also go for springs but match them to shorter shocks (Bilstein B8s probably the best bet, or maybe Koni FSDs).
  6. bjamin

bjamin New Member

[May 11, 2012]
    Not sure what ET they are will find out, think they are 9", genuine BBS LMs, will have to have a good nose about tomorrow find out what it is, because I want them flush not lookin like a beech buggy! Will look into some coilovers then I will be able to adjust anyone recommend any?
  7. moag

moag she's no d-turbo

[May 12, 2012]
    If your going down the coil over route weitec or KW V1s are the ones to go for, £600-700 + fitting.

Two things you can do to try get the wheels to work - smaller spacer, adjust the camber to tuck the wheels in. Front camber on the A3s can't be adjust very much so you might need to look into KW V3s or similar which have extra camber adjustment.

Check the wheel offset as 19mm spacer still seems huge. Have a look at the brake and shock clearance and see if you could get away with a smaller spacer. For reference I have 19x9 ET42 rears and they sit just inside the rear arch.

[HR][/HR]
  8. bjamin

bjamin New Member

[May 12, 2012]
    Right had a look, needed the spacer to clear rear damper fronts are 8.5j and rears 9.5j both at ET45, looking twice at them they dont stick out a mile they just not tucked in, just over flush, but need a little drop nothing stupid just to get the stance im looking for??
  9. MartayMcFly

MartayMcFly Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[May 12, 2012]
    ET45 and then a 19mm spacer? Maybe 9.5 is just too wide for rears? According to my trusty internet, the inner clearance on a 9.5" ET35 is the same as an ET48 8.5" so you should only need a 10mm spacer on the rear.

I've got a 4mm spacer at the front on mine to clear the caliper, but 8.5" ET48 cleared the strut fine before the brakes went on. We tried with a 10mm spacer (making them ET38) but they rubbed on the arch.