Advice on lenses please!

CHRIS555

DOPE with added OCD
Reaction score
Hi there. Firsly just to confirm, I am no expert and know virtually nothing about photography - hence my question below!!

I have a Nikon D3000 DSLR with a 18-55 lense. I would like a bigger lense and i have seen one from another manufacturer for about £100-150, which is a 18-300 lense.

My question is, is buying another makers lense a bad thing? When I bought my camera I went out and bought a Nikon lense thinking that was the best thing to do but now I'm beginning to use it more I need a bigger lense but I am put off by Nikons high prices.

I mainly use my camera for family shots and taking pictures at cars shows and holidays.

Any help and advise would be greatly apreciated - thanks in advance!

Chris

Nah this isn't a problem at all unless its a cheap brand foreign lens? and providing it's compatible with your camera. I keep my 28-300 lens bolted to my camera at all times as it doe's everything I want and is pretty practical for all my needs. I also have a nikon and feel the raft of there prices, I would recommend Sigma there alot cheaper and a decent bang for the buck.

Just dont go near unknown brands,if all fails check ebay there's always decent lenses going for bargains prices.

Out of interest what is the make your considering?

Mick

Tamaron or Sigma are good brands considering the price. I would be slightly worried about a lens that had such a huge range, it's impossible for the optics to be perfect at all those ranges.

I use Nikon too, I have the 18-200mm VR lens, it is a dear lens but very good. Before this I had the 28-300mm Sigma, and various other 70-300mm etc. They were good, but not as sharp as the Nikon. I now use a 18-50mm f/2.8 Sigma which is great, so there aren't any problems using a 3rd party lens. Go over to Talkphotography and look in the classifieds, you get some good deals there..

I have a Nikon D300s with the nikon 18-200mm and it is a cracking all round lens. Maybe worth getting a Sigma 10-20mm for that wide angle look.

I would steer clear of the 18-55 you will only be swapping for longer lens all the time.

Thank you all gentlemen! I've been looking at the Sigma's so I think I'll get myself one and see how things go!