1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on brake upgrade

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Baillie, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Baillie

Baillie New Member

I need new brakes as the standard ones are ****. I like the LCR set up. How much do you reckon for the fronts and rears with red stuff pads and braided hoses?

2. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

The rear brakes are beto be just left as they are, the front brakes seem to go for around £400 for a complete set.

3. Baillie

Baillie New Member

I think the rear disk has warped so I would prefer to renew them. Who does these kits? Looking to do them in a couple weeks.

4. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

Thats a second hand price. Arent the rears the same as s3?

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow...
    Staff Member Moderator

What car have you got?

<tuffty/>

6. Baillie

Baillie New Member

S3 8l w reg

7. <tuffty/>

Staff Member Moderator

Std S3 brakes are 'ok' but your definition of '****' needs a little more info to be able to understand the context as even LCR brakes are '****' depending on how you use them and what pads/fluid you use...

Before I changed to 4 pot calipers I used Motul RBF660 fluid and Ferodo DS2500 pads on A N Other discs and the brakes were night and day transformed... having 4 pot calipers with std pads and fluid may feel better initially but if you are a 'user of brakes' then they will soon go off like std brakes and you are no better off...

As said, second hand LCR setups can be had for 400-500 quid, new/decent (I mean Brembo/AP Racing based kits) are a grand or more... there is a massive brake thread in the FAQ sticky at the top of this section... if you are on a budget then fit DS2500 pads, replace the fluid with Motul RBF 600 or 660 and just fit std pads/discs to the rear as they do no work anyway...

<tuffty/>

8. Baillie

Baillie New Member

I'm comparing them to my qs240 which had uprated pads. I think the are a bit shot tbh. The car shudders whilst I brake from a high speed but they are fine at low speeds. Thanks for the info. Going to book it in to my mechanic for a full service and brake replacements and fluids.

9. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

As <tuffty/> says, the DS2500 pads do transform standard brakes. I had a set of them on my old A3 8L quattro (a heavy beast!) and I could not believe how much better they were, even with standard fluid.

Maybe related, but that car was written off in an accident where I happened upon a stationary line of traffic on a dual carriageway, I stopped fine, but the new A5 Cabriolet behind me didn't.... My poor car... :eek:(

I might look into these pads again for my S3.

<tuffty/>, how much of that fluid you recommend would I need to replace the standard stuff please?

10. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

I dont plan to uprate my brakes but interested in zinc plated ones that wont rust from inside & on the edges

11. <tuffty/>

Staff Member Moderator

Should get away with 2 x 500ml bottles for a full fluid change... don't forget the clutch shares the same fluid and is worth a bleed on a fluid change too

I currently use ATE super blue fluid which is fine for road use imo... if you are hard on brakes though Motul would be better

<tuffty/>

Tooks likes this.
  12. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

Thanks <tuffty/>, I'll get myself some on order.