Advice needed

Chung

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so firstly hello everyone :)

I've registered here cos I'm looking to buy a diesel A6 but have no idea what I'm looking at other than the usual FSH, paintwork marks etc.. also, I'd like to find out from current owners what they think of the following diesel engines, the 115 and the 130.
I currently have a 130bhp Bora which is fine and can move when I need it to, I've also driven a mates 115 bora which was sluggish and unresponsive. Is this the same with the A6 or worse?
There seem to be a lot of 115 models in my price range(under£6k) and I've only seen a couple of 130's being avertised, one I might be going to see at the weekend.

Anyone?

Cheers

Ok, no responses to the previous post. How about an easier question....

How can you tell a 115bhp 1.9 tdi from a 130bhp 1.9tdi?

Was the previous discontinued at any point or are all 1.9tdi's after a certain year 130bhp?

Cheers

Other than the option code sticker on the car or the service book I don't know.
It should state engine variant and the power output (in Kw).
Multiply Kw by 1.341 to get BHp value.

Hope this is of help

TonyT

Thanks Tony. I've spoken to my main dealer and they've given me a number to phone up with the reg, they can check there.

Any way Hi!

Depends what you are looking for?

Fuel economy & plodding about ? Or high performance? The A6 is a large heavy car (1.5t+) that you can load 5 people in and the bagage quite happily, 115bhp I dont think so!

If you are looking for performance it has to be the V6 tdi

Agreed 2.5tdi is what i would be going for 150 and 180 BHP i think?

Jason said:
The A6 is a large heavy car (1.5t+) that you can load 5 people in and the bagage quite happily, 115bhp I dont think so!
Hi Jason,

Thanks, that's all I needed confirmation of really. There are plenty of 115bhp ones out there and now I guess I know the reason why. I need it mostly for motorway driving, (M4, M25!!) so I've been looking at the 130bhp diesel as it gives me more mpg than the 2.5 or so the magazines say anyway.

Cheers rev-head, I can't afford the fuel on the 2.5 :blownose:

Cheers

If you're not after a quattro model, stick with the 130 one. the V6 gives only 20cv extra for a heavier engine and way lower mpg. if you want quattro, go for the 180cv quattro V6. don't forget that quattro makes the car safer but also heavier and with less whp than a fwd system.

I wouldnt go any lower than the 130 lump. The 115 will only p*ss you off and you will probably end up remapping it.

I was a little disappointed with the MPG on the 2.5 V6 but then I have to keep reminding myself that its so effortless to drive compared to the E46 that I sold.

Remap for me next year!

Good luck in your search!

Many many thanks for the advice chaps, I'll probbaly get kicked out now, but due to time constaints and budget, I've had to settle for a Saab 9-3 2.2TiD SE :sob::scared2:

I'll have to be nice to the missus so she let's me drive her A3 1.8T now....

Funny you should mention re-mapping meatychi, my bro has just bought a re-mapping kit, software, cables, instructions and a load of pre-configured engine maps to download onto the ECU, I might have a go at the A3 in the new year and see what we can get out of it. Where are you based?

Saab ey?

what year?

I had a 93 on a y plate - it was easy to drive but far to soggy!

I live in northampton - as for the remaps I wouldnt dare do a diy job - I'm considering going to MRC and getting a custom job done!

in the rear spare wheel well is a sticker which has the KW output on it this will tell you if its 115 or 130.

Its a heavy car it weighs nearly 2T for the 115 so if you think the bora is sluggish then the A6 will be almost comatose.

Hope this helps