1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice needed

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Toots, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Toots

Toots New Member

[Sep 5, 2006]
    rite guys i have yet more questions!!

i have a 1.8t sport 'R'reg in black1

i have just ordered a set of 172 RS6 alloys for it today,

i was htinking on lowering it 40MM. what you think?

also i want to get a dump valve for it but i am not keen on putting a bailey one on...but i cant find anythwere that sells differant makes of recirculation valves...any ideas?!?!?!

and last think for the moment, any advice on full exhaust systems for it aswell to get the best possible note out of it... i am not keen on the powerflow note...so any advice on where i can get a performance exhaust system that will have a nice 'note' aswell....

you help is appreciated!
    x
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[Sep 5, 2006]
  4. j4jon

j4jon Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
    Don't buy the AMD one, if you want that one then buy it direct from Turbo Dynamics. As it is just a Turbo Dynamics one with the AMD logo on it and they charge a nice premium for it.
  5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 6, 2006]
    how much are they from Turbo dynamics mate out of interest?
  6. j4jon

j4jon Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
  7. Toots

Toots New Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
    ok thats a nice price but are these dump valves actualy any good?? does any1 have 1?
    x
  8. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

[Sep 6, 2006]
    audi's don't tend to work well with dump (release to atmosphere psssssst noise) valves. Although I do know some people on here run them.

DV's (diverter valve, recirculation valve , no noise etc etc) are what audi's are meant to have. A good DV is the new TT one, the 710 iirc, oem too.
  9. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
    depends what you're expecting from a divertor valve.

If you want better durability and a slightly slower response from a piston type valve then yes, they're great i'd have thought.

If you want the performance of a diapraghm valve together with the durability of an aftermarket valve, choose the Eliminator.

Neither will make your car faster.
  10. Toots

Toots New Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
    :huh: :unsure: :blink:

oh dear i though htis was gonn ab an easy topic to sort out! i never new they were so confusing!

all i now is it needs to b a re-circ valve....that was one of the reasons for wantin a turbo car to get 1...am just a hopeless girl racer really :blownose:
    but i do try! :hi:
  11. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

[Sep 6, 2006]
    hang on a sec, lets clear a few things up, most people want turbo cars for the noise (psssst) when they change gear

Re-circ, DV, diverters, whatever you want to call them do NOT make this noise, they "re-circulate" the charged air back into the system, hence no noise.

It is only true DUMP valves (also called release to atmopshere, BOV's) that release the charged air into the atmoshphere and hence the noise.

ALL audi's are fitted with DV's, so no or very very little noise !
  12. Toots

Toots New Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
    that makes a bit btr sence,
    well yes i do want the noise, but i was told that it has to be a reciculation one so that it doesnt upset the car but i have also been let to believe that these also make the noise!

hence y i am askin in here what kinda it is that i need to get?

i hope that makes sence
    :think:
  13. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Member

[Sep 6, 2006]
    Sorry, but you're not gonna be able to get that old RS Turbo/Scooby Impreza woosh sound from a recirc valve.

As said the 1.8T cannot work with a wooshy atmospheric dump valve by virtue of the design of the ECU. When i say cannot work, i don't mean the car won't start or anything obvious like that; the problems will be subtle and gradually worsen over time.

That said, the recirc (or DV) does still 'dump' air back in to the Turbo Intake Pipe - this does make a small noise, steps can be taken to amplify this noise. The sound isn't exactly like a dump valve but it's as close as you'll get.

To achieve this amplified noise, here are the steps i'd take (and also the order i'd take them in):

Uprated Piston DV - Personnaly i'd go for the Forge 007p

CAI Kit - The Carbonio CAI will give the most noise, but BMC CDA, Dynatwist,
    Ramair etc will all give some.

Remap - REVO etc all up the boost, more boost = more gas for the valve to recirculate = more noise.

Forge/Samco Turbo Intake Pipe (TIP) - Larger volume pipe allows more gas to flow and increases the audibility of the Turbo Intake, all adding to the sound.
  14. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Sep 6, 2006]
    H&R springs, Forge Eliminator... job done for you!
  15. Toots

Toots New Member