Advice needed

dannyjb

Reaction score
Hi all, recently looking at buying another Audi A4 b6 I used to have a 2004 1.9tdi sport.

The advice I'm looking for is I'm currently looking at both the 1.9tdi and the 1.8t both are similar mileage between 110k and 118k and both with full service history.

But I don't know which one to go for, what are the 1.8t engines like for reliability, as I have owned a Octavia vrs 1.8t and th oil pump packed up and knackered the bottom end. I only owned this for a month haha.

I don't really do a lot of miles, just the odd family trip away.

So what do people prefer/ advise on the two engines

Thanks

The 1.8t engine oil pump in the A4 b6 don't pack up as such,it's the oil pickup going to it blocks up with the slugde that builds up in the sump from long life services that cause the problem.It has the same effect as it starves the engine of oil. Only way to tell if it needs cleaning out is to take the sump off. Saying that I've had mine for 9 years now and never had a problem with it as it has a oil change ever year or 6-7k.

The 1.8t engine oil pump in the A4 b6 don't pack up as such,it's the oil pickup going to it blocks up with the slugde that builds up in the sump from long life services that cause the problem.It has the same effect as it starves the engine of oil. Only way to tell if it needs cleaning out is to take the sump off. Saying that I've had mine for 9 years now and never had a problem with it as it has a oil change ever year or 6-7k.
Ah great thanks, maybe that's what went wrong on the Octavia, I totally regret changing from the b6 so need to get another but wanting an avant this time round. If I get a 1.8t I might just book it in to have this checked for peace of mind

Its not a cheap thing to have checked but then again neither is a new engine. I can't comment on the 1.9tdi as never had one but someone will be able to tell you want to look for,both engines have pro's and cons.