Advice Needed for a Newbie

I

imported_jmackler

Greetings,
I am a soon to be Audi owner. I have been Saab guy my whole life, sorry, but have increasingly been interested in an Audi.

So, I'm looking to buy an older one now (like 1988 - 1995), just for the winter. I am thinking I'll buy a newer one in the Spring when my financial situation is better. Right now I'm looking at a 1995 Quattro 90 with 144K miles on it. I'm also looking at a 1988 Quattro with 200K and a 1989 200 Quattro with 200K. Any thoughts on these cars or things to look out for?

Each of them has an issue or two, so I'm also wondering if anyone knows really rough pricing on the following:

1995 90 - coolant thermastat price of replacement (w/ labor)
1988/1989 - e-brake cable

Any input is really appreciated. Lastly, if anyone has suggestions on a reasonably priced, good Audi mechanic in Western Massachusetts, I'm going to need one!

Thanks.

Jeff

Don't apologise for liking Audi, we certainly won't! :)

Probably the newer the car the better it is likely to be.
If the thermostat is faulty, then make VERY sure that there is no damage to the head gasket from overheating. If the thermostat was stuck open I would not worry, if it was closed then the car would have been running too hot. The thermostat and o-ring will be a couple of dollars and simple to replace. However if the head gasket is damaged, then run away. One clear way to check is to have a look under the oil filler cap, and on the dipstick, if water has leaked into the oil then the oil will be a milky colour.

Check if the car has a service history.

Afraid I cannot help with dealers in Massachusetts, a bit far away... :)