Advice. Nail in tyre

Outkast

Reaction score
Not been on this board lately as been busy with work and enjoying the s3 for a road trip thorough Europe [ definitely recommended.]

nevertheless I have an issue which seem to be going to be costly.

there's a nail in the passenger front tyre and kwik fit wont repair as its too much on the outerwall. the guy there said kwik fit dont repair it as all their work is guaranteed, some other garage may do so. Something about since the nail is on the inner side of tyre, the outer could get warmed out and maybe pop out the repair.

got a quote for the contisport Tyre thats on and they saying £135 fitted. Since this is the first 'high end' car ive had I would like to keep it optimal , especially considering /I have only done 3350 miles. If people on this thread advise to change the tyre, should I changed the front two? as i have heard from some enthusiasts that it is always better to change the tyres in pairs [front two or back two] if need be to keep balance of car and optimal driving experience.

or

do people here think it is possible to have a repair job done on it without any disastorous consequences [ i understand no body can guarantee but maybe someone can speak from experience or heard about the repair popping out?]

the sensors are notifying me of air loss in tyre, luckily i have a spare run around to drive.

Attachments

• Photo 01-03-2015 11 48 54.jpg
    Photo 01-03-2015 11 48 54.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,492
Past experience for me would say that looks like a new tyre, bit close to the edge. Better safe than sorry.

Ones I have had repaired have always been fine and I've never had a repair go wrong. But where the tyre couldn't be repaired I've always replaced both sides. Right or wrong I've always felt safer having two tyres of equal wear. May be just me being fussy but, I had a Mini Cooper once, a proper one not a BMW. As soon as I got that I replaced all four, they didn't need replacing but I just felt better knowing all four were good, not knowing the tyre history.

Last edited:
The law states punctures can only be repaired if it's within the central 3/4 of the section width.

Yours is unfortunately out with this and will need replacing.

Assuming your running 225/40 18 - Aim to pay no more than £100 fitted.
*edit* for a conti sport 5 AO.

I'd get 2 new tyres and keep the other as a spare if you have the space

Two vs one replacement would also depend on the tread depth difference. I was told that if the difference is more than 4 mm all should be replaced on a Quattro This was per STS and VW finance as I have the tyre package and assumed if Audi recommend then it's not just the tyre place trying to make a fast buck!

Hi
I would probably replace the two tyres so that they run level and you know its ok .
On another point DO NOT GO TO QUICK FIT , there will be better tyre companies nearby QF are a bunch of chancers .
look on internet for tyre prices I believe black circles are good and there are other ones .
Also try your supplying dealer as sometimes the dealer is as cheap as the local tyre place and after all tyou bought the tyre there .

Agree with previous posters that its too near the shoulder to be repaired.

As your car has only done 3000 miles (and assuming those aren't hard miles), I'd only buy one tyre since the equivalent one on the other side won't have lost much tread. Comment above on quattro has validity if those have been hard miles (and you have quattro)

John.

Take the advice of the tyre repair people as the consequences of a high speed blow out don't bear thinking about.

Just get one new tyre given the low mileage you've done on the other. Paid £114 per tyre for a 225/40/18 Conti Sport AO 92Y fully fitted only a few months ago.

Happened to me the week after I picked mine up - most miffed, but it was covered by tyre insurance..... got a damn crack in my windscreeen now :)

My understanding of the law on tyres is that there must be no more than a 5mm difference in tread depth between tyres on the same axle.

I hit a pothole a few weeks ago. New Cinturato was £100 all in - local tyre place. My car had only done about 2K miles, so no need for two tyres.

As all the others have said, it's too close to the edge for a safe repair.
with just over 3,000 miles you will only need one tyre.

how many miles can one get on average from these tyres anyway?

On my '06 A4 Quattro I get at least 20k miles, probably more like 25k. I use Michelins as that's what it came with in 2006.

You'll be looking for 225/40R18 92Y Conti SportContact 5 A0. This is the OE spec tyre and is homologated for the A3/S3