Advice, looking for A3 on autotrader uk, have up to 4-5k to spend.

MARKMAKAVELI

Reaction score
I plan to touch it up, using this board as help. :readit: Been a member here for a while an love checkin the pics thread.

Ideally low mileage, no more than 50k. I like leather seats, really hate interior that is a horrible pattern, plain black all the way. Pref black or silver exterior colour.

Erm that's pretty much it. Was hopin you guys would be able to share some useful tips?! ones to avoid etc?

If I saw one that blew me away I would stretch to 6k lol. I would appreciate any help! I need to get one in next couple of weeks. Please help! :sadlike:

Last edited:
Is the under 50k miles a definite requirement for your purchase? £4-5k will get you a lot of A3 in 8L form, you could buy an S3 for £6k easily if you don't mind a bit of mileage!

it's because i dont want to be paying out for things to be fixed an feel higher mileage - more things to go wrong!

also, when it comes to resale, if its still under 100k i feel it would sell better than if it's done 130k or something. I do about 10k a year an would pay it off in 3 yrs roughly.

are they fair points? I feel like you're gonna convince me to go crazy an splash out.. go on, try me! lol

My s3 was £6200 on 74K, they're out there! I sold my 1.8T quattro sport with 71K on for £3300 (made a mahoosive loss on this) but I was seriously envious when an s3 drove past, definitely worth the extra, IMO. Are you planning on any modifications?

With regards to modifications, Dane, yeah but i'm not gonna lie, moreso for the aesthetics than performance. I know I'm lame! lol

My main things are that I want leather interior (500 ish?), a nice ICE/sat nav system (300ish?), nice alloys (500ish?). If these do not come with the car I purchase then they would be the things I would HAVE to add on!

With regards to mods, once I have the above done, I would look at getting my hands dirty, using you're pics as inspiration! I can see myself getting really into it, but one step at a time for now!

Remember that you will have to shell out for a cambelt service at about 60k, so whatever you save on not replacing some cheap pipe will go towards doing this. Also, 8L models are getting to be very old, so no matter how small the mileage is, the rubber pipes will still have perished and be prone to splitting, which will cause you no end of grief in lost boost (if turbo) if you do not replace the lot.

The best one out of those links is a cat d repair an ive been warned off them. Yes Dave I am, I made this screen name when I was about 12 an even tho its really sad its stuck with me.

Hmmm I dunno what to do now. Someone sort it all out for me pleeeeeeeeease!! lol

My bad I didn't read it properly, I wouldn't have posted it if I'd have read the cat D bit

I find the cars on autotrader to be more expensive than other websites. As an example, I just bought a 2001 S3 facelift 210 with 95k on it for 4 grand from pistonheads. There are quite a few like that on pH but not so many on Autotrader

Last edited:
It's certainly different

I might buy this one. What can I do to the front of it to make it look better? Is it the single conversion thing I've read about? How much is that nowadays? Also, where are the pics of the interior? he has said what it is but not provided pics?!

At 72k, what usually needs doin? Bearing in mind "12 months MOT & 6 months TAX
New breaks & discs all round plus 2 new front tyres. "

Cheers Dave

Last edited:
Just prefer that type of front

Audi_A3_8P_Front.jpg

So you want to buy an 8l a3 and convert the front to 8p? why not just buy an 8P a3 as suggested above? It'll look a guzzilllion times better and it will be alot easier to sell on, something you highlighted as important at the beginning.

I might buy this one. What can I do to the front of it to make it look better? Is it the single conversion thing I've read about? How much is that nowadays? Also, where are the pics of the interior? he has said what it is but not provided pics?!

At 72k, what usually needs doin? Bearing in mind "12 months MOT & 6 months TAX
New breaks & discs all round plus 2 new front tyres. "

Cheers Dave

np mate one of the better A3's i saw!

Is there a list of things that usually go wrong at certain mileages?

Ive tried a search but a3 and mileage comes up in every single thread ever!

remember funky cliffs conversion? that looked really nice and was cheaply done. i want to do that if it is alot cheaper than other options.

8P front on an 8L just doesn't go IMO. Better to get a 8P in the first place.

Things that can fail or brake on these cars dont tend to be milage related, they just break. As others have mentioned its the age of the car, some A3's are almost 15 years old now.

I wouldnt be worried about resale, especially if your looking to keep it for 3 years.