advice for my A3 2.0TDI 170 bhp with faulty turbo

carlsarrou

UnderwaterPilot
Reaction score
Got An A3 2.0 TDI 170 on a 57 plate 87,000miles

At end of tether, EML came on so took it to local audi dealer (no noticable different in performance), after telling me that the Diagnostic machine lit up like a xmas tree and they werent sure what was wrong could they have some more time to investigate!!! i agreed and the next day they came up with a EMU Fault, result was a EMU replacement which had to come direct from Audi at a cost of £960 all in. 2 week later EML on again so back to main dealer they again didnt know what the fault was exactly but did a regen and the EML went away. 1 month on it comes !! today they tell me the Turbo is leaking oil (to be fair it has been a bit smoky for a few months but they didnt point this out in the 3 previous visits) and the TURBO requires replacing at a cost of.......wait for it....

£699 plus vat for the TURBO
£475 plus vat for labour
£??? gaskets etc

all in plus vat £1447.00

After picking myself up and then questioning the fact that i had recently shelled out almost a grand for the EMU are they sure the TURBO was causing all the faults and i have had the previous work done unncessarily.

should i tell them where to go and can anyone recommend a place to go, I live in central scotland near stirling.
cheers

update to above, Stirling Audi rang me to say that as i am a loyal customer and dont want me to go elsewhere they have offered to do the job for £690 all in, a discount on the part and they'll cover the labour (2 years warranty)....is that a deal ?

Haa The very same thing i had on my 8l S3. I blew a gasket in the shop and as it had full stamp and 50k. £1200 then became £650 You won't get a two years warranty with genuine parts anywhere else! So if it's fecked get it done!

Yep got back in touch with them
And booked it in for tomorrow!!

Yep got back in touch with them
And booked it in for tomorrow!!

Took in this morning, and there also going to replace the injectors and wiring loom whilst there doing the Turbo due to a multitude of injectors failures with this particular engine model !!!! Anyone else had the injector snag? Technician told me there just heading the problem off at the pass!

Took in this morning, and there also going to replace the injectors and wiring loom whilst there doing the Turbo due to a multitude of injectors failures with this particular engine model !!!! Anyone else had the injector snag? Technician told me there just heading the problem off at the pass!

Yea this is becoming a more and more apparent issue that Audi (and Volkswagen) have with the CR diesel engine injectors.. They are offering free replacement of all injectors and the looms if the issue is spotted... Saves them doing a recall i guess?

I have a mate with a 170 56 plate a3 who complained to VOSA and had it done and a woman at my work had it on her golf and after VW charged her for the two injectors and also tried charging her even more for the rest (as they were about to go), I told her to contact VOSA and she got all the money back and the lot replaced for free.

She owes me a....pint.

Reactions: carlsarrou
Glad your getting it sorted at a better price + the extra work!

I have a question on the injector faults.. I have a 57 plate 170 but have only done 27k, would my injectors need doing and how do i go about getting them all done including the loom? Is it a free thing by Audi or would i need to pay?

Do what I did. Contact Audi customer care and express your concerns. I was then asked to book my car into my local Audi dealer to be checked out. The result was that all 4 injectors and the loom were replaced that same day even though the car was running perfectly and had no issues with the original injectors. Mileage is immaterial. Mine has done less than yours.

Thanks Twizzler, I'm guessing it was done under warranty? Mine is no longer in warranty so will I still be covered?

Twizzler I thank you very much, now on the phone to Audi customer care and they are booking it in with my local dealer right now for all 4 injectors and the loom to be replaced as they said its a recognized problem which is best to get sorted before they start to fail.

Is there a definite cut off point/date for the affected engine? Have a 2008 08 reg, been DPF deleted and remapped, would they need to touch the mapping of the ECU if swapping the injectors?

got my car back yesterday with the new Turbo and 4 new injectors and wiring loom £635 in the end which was a small victory, and its running fine.....but a new shocker for me to deal with, apparently the DPF filter has been removed from his housing, but i wasnt informed of this when i purchased the car in Jan 11.

Where do i stand with this ? or should i leave it off and get the ECU Remap to give me more BHP/Fuel efficiency.

The ECU must already be remapped in some way otherwise there would have been errors on the dash. If you bought the car at the same dealership I would also look for a full refund on the turbo, the dpf delete could well have damaged the turbo along with the dealer attempting to regen a dpf which doesn't exist!
All sounds very strange!

Is there a definite cut off point/date for the affected engine? Have a 2008 08 reg, been DPF deleted and remapped, would they need to touch the mapping of the ECU if swapping the injectors?

No probs with my injectors, but called audi uk yesterday and they booked my car in for all four injectors and loom to be replaced. They said that my 2.0tdi 170 fell into that timeline of the production of the injectors. Mine is a 2006 "56" plate, so well out of warranty, by two years!
Also just had my remap taken of this morning by the boys at AmD. Guy in chingford Audi advised of the record, that of my car had been mapped and Audi see this whilst do the job, they could cancel the replacement agreement and sting me with over a 2k bill!
He also said because they are changing all injectors and looms, they will most likely do a software update which wipe of my map!
Only paid a small fee to AmD and they will put it back on after I have the work done by Audi.