Advice for an Audi A3 first buyer

fitzyj

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently looking at buying a 2.0 TDI A3. I drive around 24,000 miles a year and currently drive a Ford Focus TDCI, and am looking to upgrade to something with a bit more grunt.

Looking at second hand A3's I'm keen on the 170ps 2.0TDI SE or Sport which are around 1 to 2 years old. I relatively need a low mileage car due to the miles I do, but I'm unsure at what sort of price I should be looking at for the car mentioned above.

Plus what are the general maintenance costs for a 2.0TDI A3? MPG wise it will be around the same as my Focus so not bothered about that, but servicing will be more and I just want to gauge how much more it will be compared to Ford service charges.

Thanks
James

Welcome.

I would suggest a 140 mate, then no DPF issues to worry about, can get same power from a map anyway.

Servicing I do myself, but maybe you can broker with a dealer for servicing for a few years mate if you buy the car from them of course, save you some :)

Consider a DSG as well :) Huge plus point for any Audi.

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the 140 as well and the mpg on them is slightly better and as you said with a remap should be just as powerful as the 170. I've been reading up on the DSG and there seems to be alot of bad stories on them, are these true? Are the problems on older models because I'm looking at getting a 2010 model or newer.

Servicing is my biggest worry due to I work for Ford so servicing the Focus is cheap, and it seems most people I speak to stereotype Audi's etc with huge service costs.

James

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the 140 as well and the mpg on them is slightly better and as you said with a remap should be just as powerful as the 170. I've been reading up on the DSG and there seems to be alot of bad stories on them, are these true? Are the problems on older models because I'm looking at getting a 2010 model or newer.

Servicing is my biggest worry due to I work for Ford so servicing the Focus is cheap, and it seems most people I speak to stereotype Audi's etc with huge service costs.

James

big service on my a3 was £280 at audi took to a local garage last time they used genuine parts and it was £230 but as u said you cant compare it next to nowt. dsg i dont no about i like to be able to change my gears manually guess depends how much you like or dislike changing gears i guess i dont find it exspensive to maintain i had a focus before but even if at worse it cost me about £100 more to maintain but its dam worth it i love my A3

£280 isnt bad I suppose, but the mileage I do I will have to have two services a year. Changing gear is a pain only when in traffic, and seeing as my commute is on the M25 I'm always in traffic.