1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice buying Petrol A4(B8)

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by AdamB8, Feb 4, 2014.

1. AdamB8

AdamB8 New Member

Hi all, newbie to the forums..

Looking at buying an A4 S-Line to replace my current motor. My budget is around 12k-15k and ideally I don't want anything with over 50k on the clock. Was wondering if anyone on here had any tips (other than the usual kick of the tyre!) on what to look out for when buying a used A4.

I've had a go of my mates 1.8 (160) which was fast enough for me however if I can get my hands on a 2.0 (211) I'd be made up.

Was also surprised to see that the 2.0 had better fuel economy figures that the 1.8, is it a newer/more efficient engine?

Any tips or pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, cheers!!
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Can't answer your question, but I think you will have better luck in the B8 section, so I have moved it for you.
  3. Liquidfusion

Liquidfusion Active Member

I have a TFSi 1.8 2013 manual model and the figures quoted by Audi which was 42-58mpg is no where near what I get when I drive, and I drive carefully too!

I get between 25-44mpg, that's for both town driving and motorway.
  4. Macdoon

Macdoon Well-Known Member

I have just bought an 09 plate 2.0 TFSI (211) with 33k on the clock, FASH. Within your budget.
    70% motorway 30% town, a mixture of driving but not so much heavy footed, returned 40ish.

Heavy footed play time driving, returned 20-26ish.

50/50 motorway/town sensible driving returned 30-40ish

Mac
  5. Spares

Spares Member

Tip of the day.....Buy a 3.0 TDI, the economy is similar to, if not better than a 2.0 petrol, and you'll save a small fortune in not having to buy engine oil every few hundred miles ( they drink the stuff like 2 Stroke ) and engine rebuilds to fix the oil consumption issues.
  6. AdamB8

AdamB8 New Member

Cheers for the replies.. I was looking to avoid a diesel really as my commute has been slashed and only takes me around 10-15 minutes to get to work and i'd be worried about DPF issues cropping up as it'd hardly get up to operating temperature...