Advanced key question

RossR

Reaction score
I can probably guess the answer to this one but here goes:

If you unlock the car, get in, start the engine then get out with the key, can you lock the car with the engine running?

I've watched that video a few times but it doesn't answer my specific question.

I don't yet have my car so I can't go and test it for you.
All I can say is from the video it shows you can't lock the car from the outside with the engine running, but as you say it doesn't show opening and closing the door as you exit then try locking it? However I'm sure in a worst case scenario you could always lock it the old fashioned way with the key ;).
In my Impreza days people used to use Turbo Timers to pre heat and cool down their cars. However I didn't get one fitted as insurance company's normally won't cover you if the engine was left running when it was stolen, also as I don't have a driveway I'm sure there is a law against leaving a car running unattended? Perhaps the rules are different in Germany so that's why they offer it as an option?

I am prepared to be proven wrong though as I'm no expert ;)

I don't think the pre-heat option has the engine running, it just uses the battery from what I remember from the manual

I don't think the pre-heat option has the engine running, it just uses the battery from what I remember from the manual

The VW California uses a remote controlled diesel heater (with timer) as a night heater, but it also uses this to preheat the engine coolant, is it a similar system or does it use an electrical heating element? Only curious as I don't think it really get cold enough in the UK to warrant a pre heater. Also this system would obviously only work on diesel cars.

No idea. I only know what I saw in the manual, and I think it's a purely electronic system. It's not available in this country anyway!