Facelift Advanced Key Oh S**T

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Well wee Dougie's tribulations continue. Last Friday just after the cracked windscreen was replaced due to large stone. I go to my car in the pouring rain open the rear door and dump my "man bag" :blink: ...no comments please! .... in the rear seat. Close the door and the locks go clunk! Desperation ensues, house keys, wallet, mobile phone and of course the key fob is in there.
Go and bother a business for a phone to call Audi Assist. They arrive within 30 minutes and the driver says "nae bother sir have you in a jiffy", actually he was from a land that English was not his strong suit. He uses an air bag which I have never seen before. He slides it in between the body of the car and the window frame area and pumps it up to create an opening for his rod to operate the door handle, bingo, open sesame. Drive home and then inspect that area, remember it was pouring cats and dogs at the time. The window frame area is slightly bent. Off to the dealership I go, firstly to find out why this happened...no way is an advanced fob supposed to allow locking of the car whilst it is in the car or boot. They think that possibly a radio signal from the push lock button on the fob emitted a lock command as the door was closed? That makes sense as you can sit in the car and push the button and it will lock the car.
I now have an appointment with the body shop to see if they can fix the bent frame without painting etc. Of course all costs will be paid by Audi, as this was discussed with the dealership.

Reactions: Jassyo06, lucaslfc, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
That's very unfortunate. I have accidentally taken off my jacket with the advance key in the jacket pocket and put the jacket in the boot and it did not lock. It should not have locked your keys inside.

Well wee Dougie's tribulations continue. Last Friday just after the cracked windscreen was replaced due to large stone. I go to my car in the pouring rain open the rear door and dump my "man bag" :blink: ...no comments please! .... in the rear seat. Close the door and the locks go clunk! Desperation ensues, house keys, wallet, mobile phone and of course the key fob is in there.
Go and bother a business for a phone to call Audi Assist. They arrive within 30 minutes and the driver says "nae bother sir have you in a jiffy", actually he was from a land that English was not his strong suit. He uses an air bag which I have never seen before. He slides it in between the body of the car and the window frame area and pumps it up to create an opening for his rod to operate the door handle, bingo, open sesame. Drive home and then inspect that area, remember it was pouring cats and dogs at the time. The window frame area is slightly bent. Off to the dealership I go, firstly to find out why this happened...no way is an advanced fob supposed to allow locking of the car whilst it is in the car or boot. They think that possibly a radio signal from the push lock button on the fob emitted a lock command as the door was closed? That makes sense as you can sit in the car and push the button and it will lock the car.
I now have an appointment with the body shop to see if they can fix the bent frame without painting etc. Of course all costs will be paid by Audi, as this was discussed with the dealership.

Unbelievable what a numpty Audi Assist were to go and damage your car like that !

Could just as easily happen with the old skool key.

Pop the"trunk" only, throw your jacket, bag etc in shut the trunk and realise, oh ***** the key is in there lol.

I actually did this with a POS Buick rental car in Florida a while back. Guy came out and used a wedge and metal coathanger type hobby to open the driver's door.

Reactions: Jassyo06
What a shame I couldn't afford it ;)

Hope it gets sorted mate and I'm sure it will.

Could just as easily happen with the old skool key.

Pop the"trunk" only, throw your jacket, bag etc in shut the trunk and realise, oh ***** the key is in there lol.

I actually did this with a POS Buick rental car in Florida a while back. Guy came out and used a wedge and metal coathanger type hobby to open the driver's door.

I think with the advanced key though it should unlock the boot again - saw this a few years ago on an A5 - put the key in the boot, shut it and it just reopened

If the key is inside the car then you cannot lock the car using the buttons on the car handle or if you try and close the boot. However if the key is inside the car and the lock button is pressed the car will lock, as there are no sensors to detect there is a person sat inside pressing the key.

Deary me mate and l thought l was Jixed ***,l hope you'll get yer car all pristine again soon
On a side note,its one option l didnt tick not through not affording it, as l really like keyless with the more freedom it allows you, had it my focus,but it has too many ??? after it especially me being a forgetful barsteward at times and that being the main reason lol

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Deary me mate and l thought l was Jixed ***,l hope you'll get yer car all pristine again soon
On a side note,its one option l didnt tick not through not affording it, as l really like keyless with the more freedom it allows you, had it my focus,but it has too many ??? after it especially me being a forgetful barsteward at times and that being the main reason lol

This is the first time I have locked my keys in any car I have owned, rented/hired etc. and that is over 50 plus years. Love the convenience of the advanced key or Kessy System but it does have it's drawbacks, as do any fob systems, as they emit radio signals which can cause issues for theft etc. The more I look at the convenience and safety/nanny options or even as standards the more I dislike them, due to system errors, which can lead to failure of the car to operate and are costly to repair and diagnose.
I am off to the body shop in a couple of hours to see if they can fix it without major work.

Reactions: Jassyo06
No idea how they did it. The car disappeared into their workshop....25 minutes later as good as new. No charge to me or Audi. This was the same body shop that repaired the window break in and body damage by a thief

Reactions: Tom.H, Mythos, Jassyo06 and 2 others