Advanced key not in the car - will it still go?

Reaction score
If I pop into the car and start it, then finish loading the car: what would happen if it was to be driven off without the key?

I ask for two reasons:

1) can the car be stolen?

2) could I accidentally leave my key behind, get to the destination and not be able to restart the car - sounds silly, but I nearly did that the other day when I decided to leave my jacket behind and only realised when I got in the car and noticed the "key" symbol.

Last edited:
As soon as you turn the car of, then you're fudged from recollection.

I assumed it would if the car could be driven, but can the car actually be driven off, out of range of the key without the key in the car?

I was hoping that the car would switch off as soon as I tried to put it in gear... I might try driving it 100yds down the road without the key later...

Yes it can, or at least that is the case with the standard key. Last year my wife was driving the car and I had the key in my pocket. I got out and she drove off with no problems. Even more worrying was that she turned the engine off while waiting at a level crossing and was able to restart the car without the key being there, although I have not been able to replicate this subsequently. Can only assume the same would be for the advanced key.

Something up there, it shouldn't restart in any situation if the key isn't in locality unless its stop/start, even so that should still look for authorisation IMHO, lucky for her.

It will however, I found, allow the engine to continue running once started & key is removed from the area required to detect as such.

To clarify: mine isn't the "advanced" key that unlocks the doors as you approach, just the regular one...

I wouldn't expect it to re-authorise every time with stop-start and I wouldn't expect it start if there's no key there, BUT I was just hoping it wouldn't be able to drive away at all if there was no key in the car.... I've not tested it yet, but by the sounds of it, it will let me drive away...

On my VW it will let me drive away without the key once the initial authorisation has taken place. You also need the key in the vehicle, standing outside and leaning in won't work. Only after trying to restart will it ask for the key again.
It also drives me insane when I wash the car and forget to take the keys out of my pocket. Lock,unlock,lock,unlock etc etc...everytime I go near the handles lol!