Adjusting beam angle on facelift A3

TDi? Liberties!
Reaction score
As all of us are FULLY AWARE: The angle on the lights at their highest position is woefully low... On dark country lanes I can't see further than 10 metres ahead of me...

I went out and bought some Philips X-treme power bulbs yesterday, fitted them, then found that although the light was powerful and bright, the angle was set to the floor.

Anyone know what the crack is with adjusting them?

I know that the bi-xenons are done through Vag.com, but what about halogen projectors (8L 2001-2003)?

Any help fully appreciated!!! :)

ps. YES I HAVE TURNED THEM UP USING THE SWITCH IN THE CABIN. :)

well on my s3 a had the same prob wi the xenons, took it to ma mates garage and raised them just an allen key, dnt know wat ure engine bay is like but a had to remove some plastic covers to show the tp of the lights, thin it was a 6mm allen key and just adjusted the height to suit, dnt know wat will happen at mot time though

well on my s3 a had the same prob wi the xenons, took it to ma mates garage and raised them just an allen key, dnt know wat ure engine bay is like but a had to remove some plastic covers to show the tp of the lights, thin it was a 6mm allen key and just adjusted the height to suit, dnt know wat will happen at mot time though

Thanks for that mate... Since posting, I have had a look in the haynes manual and can confirm what you are saying is correct.

Come Mot time they will be legal, as you adjust the beam to sensible levels I don't see how it could fail. I mean the highest level right now should be the lowest, seems like the mechanic that did the pdi on mine in 2001 was a little over zealous with beam angle... TOILET... I can't see sh*t!!!

Mines the same mate cant see a dam thing at night.

Mine were too high, main bea, was useless as it just lit up the trees and cars were flashing me constantly on dipped. I adjusted it by hand (fingers!) didn't need to remove anything but its def easier with an allen key! 5/6mm is it??

Mine just passed it MOT after i'd played around and now its spot on!

When you say abdjusted by hand, what exactly do I need to do?

Do you mean I need to force the motor up a little?

Mines the same mate cant see a dam thing at night.

lol... When you go out and spend 25 squids of hard earned cash on expensive halogen bulbs only to find that your front bumper gets more benefit, there can only be one conclusion; drive with the side lights on instead, you get just as much light! lol

I love my A3 none the less. :)