Adjustable tie bars.....

milli

Reaction score
Right, i have been searching for a while now at all the old threads and would like to get people who have fitted them their verdict. When changing have you fitted on the top or bottom? Also i have been reading about kw ones snapping, and thats the ones i have bought??

My KW ones snapped. Now have Forge. Think they are mounted at the bottom. Deffo worth doing, even just for the looks.

I've got Forge, and they are supposed to be fitted on top apparently. I've got mine on top. It will push the wheel out, if mounted bottom you will have to shorten the bar, and I've read that some can not shorten it sufficiently to get the camber they want. See below.

Here is what a Forge rep states:

"On the TT,S3, LCR we find that the replacement of the top tie bars only is normally satisfactory to correct lowering of 25-35mm. If the car has been lowered significantly more it may be necessary to replace the lower bars also, but we have only seen this requirement on racing rather than road going cars. The reason we recommend changing the upper tie bars on road going cars rather than the lower bars, is because the level sensors are normally fitted to the lower bars and few installers have the facility for re-calibration."

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...te-adjustment-help-post768557.html#post768557

Fitted forge ones to my mates TT, they go on the top to adjust the camber after lowering. I'm going to make my own as i don't fancy paying the silly amounts they cost.

I have looked into this, wouldnt it be less strain on the bars if they were on the bottom doing a pulling motion rather then been on the top doing a pushing motion? People who have had these snap, were they on the top or bottom?

Snap at the bottom usually. The cases of these snapping are really rare to be honest. It effected S3s and TTs of a certain chassis code range, my 99' S3 had the recall and something replaced?

Early recall to change the rose joint on the hub that could potentially seize... snapping the tie bar
There is less strain on the drive shafts if fitted at the top...