Adjustable Tie Bar Broken

shotbybilly

Reaction score
Just thought I would warn everyone, and before anyone says anything I am not having a gripe at S3Dave because I know he his no longer with us.
This morning after filling up with V-power I heard a bang from the rear and the car started to squirm a bit, not going fast either, pulled over and the rear near side wheel was at 45 degrees.
looked under and saw this. IMAG0197

Got recovered to a good friends garage and removed tie bar.IMAG0198
It had broke at the weld, then we removed the other bar and this has some air line cracks on the weld as well.
We have put the original tie bars on with new bushes, just have to live with a bit of camber.
The bars had only been on since March 2014 and as you can see after this last winter I gave them a coat of paint due to rusting.
My S3 is fully poly-bushed even the outer bushes of all 4 tie bars and yes I am a bit of speed freak when conditions allow and luckily was only going slow when it happened.
I would suggest if you have any of these adjustable bars to check the welds especially the inner bush mounting.

I think this will have to go.
Dave is a legend around here and as Samuel says global companies bars break so I'll leave this here and then it'll br gone any complaints PM me.

Voorhees, like I said I am not having a go at Dave just warning people about what can happen, the roads around here are rubbish and it is probably this that has weakened the welds.
I just wanted to warn people to check.

They aren't the tie bars we encouraged members to buy as they were stainless steel :crying:

Last edited:
They were purchased from Dave last February mate, but like I said I am not having a go, just wanted to warn people about adjustable tie bars

Reactions: voorhees
id leave it up if nothing else other than a heads up for a safety issue.

but ive read reports of every brand break anyhow so i wouldnt take it personal
badly designed by audi maybe?

Making me nervous now. That's the 2nd example I've read about on here. Time to change them soon I think.

Quite right to let people know what's happened, and nothing against S3Dave (RIP).

Out of interest, who has there tie bars fitted lower and who has them fitted upper..... Might be to much load fitting them lower. Mine are fitted upper and no issues........yet.

The other car was @rhubarb4 , and he hardly drives his, but they still broke, at the same point aswell!

For anyone running the last batch Dave made, I seriously suggest you get the car inspected at soon point sharpish. The nature of the part, and the performance the S3 has on offer means this is not to be taken lightly!

Reactions: rhubarb4 and The Doctor
They were fitted to the lower position, but wouldn't think it would be any different if fitted on top.
Like Jojo said if you have got these fitted I would check them as soon as, I was lucky yesterday morning as wasn't going too fast.

So, have been under the car to check the tie bars this evening and based on a close visual inspection all seems ok. Will be replacing them soon though, to be on the safe side.

What happened there?

Someone pulled out infront of me. I swerved right. They kemp coming. I swerved left. Bang from the rear end. Span it onto the opposing side of the road smashing the back of the car into the hedge on the opposing side and ended up as you see in that photo.

Oh and btw I was the lad whom was pestering you about the narrow band loom in wideband car. Turned out my issue was the throttle in the shell i put everything into.