Adding an Infinity Basslink to an S3 with Bose

jediknight

Reaction score
Website
www.nathanwillits.com
Hi, me again. i have ALMOST bought my S3 now!

this question is probably one for AndyMac if he is around??

The S3 i have chosen has the bose upgrade which i hear is 'ok' but not great. so to start i want to add my Infinity Basslink amp/sub combo. Im not fussed about stealth or boot space right now plus the basslink sounds amazing and really transforms a system!

So i know i need to run the power cable from battery to boot but then what? Will i loose the built in bose sub or can i run both at the same time? Is there any point running both at the same time? Can i take the preout feed from the boot where it connects to the bose amp or do i have to run phono cables down the length of the car aswell?

Finally the basslink takes 4 inputs!! it take Front left and right and Rear left and right inputs (which is fine as my current sony MD headunit has those outputs!) but will the symphony II headunit give the same outputs??

thanks

once i have done this i will see what the system sounds like and decide whether i want or need to upgrade the cabin speakers!

I would disconnect the Bose sub as the rattling will annoy. You can take the remote on & rear pre-outs off the sub loom but only rears. If you want fronts as well then you'll need to tap into the Bose amp in the right cubbyhole in the boot.

rattling???

so doesnt the HU have front pre outs?

what would happen if i just bought an adapter to double the connection (i.e doubled the rear pre outs so i then plugged the rear pre outs into the rear and front input on the basslink)?? would it sound any good?

Should the car come with a stereo wiring diagram so i know what wire does what!?

ta

The Bose sub is not very good so disconnect it otherwise it will spoil the sound.
The Bose sub doesn't run off the front pre-outs, but they are there going to the Bose 4 channel amp driving the cabin speakers. IIRC the Bose sub actually runs off one front pre-out and one rear pre-out so that you still get the sub if you fade everything to the front.
I guess this is why the Basslink requires 4 inputs. I doubt it will be effected by only using the rear pre-outs. Diagram shown below. There is no wiring diagram supplied with the car.

so do i just get an adapter to go from that plug to the normal phono conections?

I have just bought the car and i will have it on thursday so i can start playing around with it next weekend!

thanks

There is no adapter but you can make your own using one end of an RCA lead and some small spade terminals (or the pins out of a speaker harness).
This is what I supply with my stealth sub so that you can just plug in.

fancy making me one and selling it to me?

So are the wires that carry the sub channels to the rear good enough or would it be best to run my own ones down the the rear anyway?

ta