Adding a Sub to Bose sytem on a audi a3 2004

khalil

Reaction score
hi can any one tell me if i can disconnect the bose sub in the boot and add my own sub and amp

Absolutely, here are the pin outs on the connector:
BosePinouts.jpg

Hi Andy,

Is there an off the shelf adapter that will plug into the bose and give me red and black 'phono' type connectors and a flying remote to plug into my amp?

I have a 2001 S3 with bose and a sub enclosure in the loft gathering dust LOL!

You have an S3 in your loft?
No there isn't you just have to make your own by stripping the ends off a set of RCA's and soldering very small spade connectors to them. This is what I provide with my A3/S3 stealth sub, it's not very elegant but it works.

AndyMac thanks for your reply, is that connector of the bose sub itself, and if it is how would and wnere would i connect the RCA leads to my alpine amp

AndyMac. can i diconnect the bose sub and than get some autoleads conectors that allows you to convert speakers output to RCA and than connect my alpine amp/sub

You unplug the Bose sub which leaves you with the socket, which you then plug RCA's directly into, along with the remote on lead. The Bose sub has the amp inside it so there's no need for any hideous line out converters as the feed to the sub is unamplified.

thanks for the help mate, just i more question where is the BOSE amp that runs the rest of the speakers

hi mate thanks for your help, all the speakers on the bose are 2ohms, so when i disconnect the bose sub and add my alpine amp and sub, will that mean that the signal going to the amp is 2ohms or has that got noting to do with it,

No the impedance is only an issue at the output of the amp. You will be tapping into the pre-outs so the impedance is not an issue.

AndyMac, you certianly seem to be the fountain of knowledge on ICE, and you have absolutely no idea how relieved i was to find this thread meaning i can connect my sub up and laugh off the weakling Bose i have, very easily thanks to you sharing your knowledge.

One question though, in your experience is the +12v feed from the bose sub connector man enough for a larger external amp e.g 400w.
Cheers
Joe

Definately not, it's only 5amp and I wouldn't trust it that far. You have to run a new 8 guage fused power line fom the battery.
I have a PDF on how to do this if you want it, let me know your email address?

Lovegroover said:
AndyMac, you certianly seem to be the fountain of knowledge on ICE, and you have absolutely no idea how relieved i was to find this thread meaning i can connect my sub up and laugh off the weakling Bose i have, very easily thanks to you sharing your knowledge.

One question though, in your experience is the +12v feed from the bose sub connector man enough for a larger external amp e.g 400w.
Cheers
Joe

You do certainly know your stuff Andy!!

This forum is fantastic....i needed to know everything here....you guys asked all the question i was gonna ..and everyone replied....i give you guys a huge hand..welldone :arco: <p>
actually i do have 1 question. in the pin diagram i assum screen is negative for each channels rca/phone, is that correct?

Hi Andymac.. quick question. i just got a audi a3 fsi 05. i want to add my sub and amp to the current bose system.. how do i go about this without changing the current stereo...

thanks in advance.

It's a bit more tricky on the new shape as there is only one Bose amp and the sub is driven off this along with all the cabin speakers, so you can't disconnect it. There are 2 ways, either just connect a line out converter to the amplified feeds running to the Bose sub at the moment, but you'll still need to tap the main Bose loom to get the remote on trigger to turn the new amp on with the HU. Alternatively look at my stealth sub install instructions which tells you how to tap both the remote on and the left & right rear pre-outs to give you the feeds you need. You will also have to run a 40amp+ fused cable directly from the battery. This is also detailed in the manual.
Manual is here:
http://no3ntry.cozywebhost.com/andymac/AMSS_8P_Installation_Manual.pdf