1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adaptive cruise control not working

Discussion in 'RS6 Forum' started by bigcw, Dec 3, 2012.

1. bigcw

bigcw New Member

Hi all

Just swapped my trusty A6 Le Mans for an RS6 V10. :)

However the adaptive cruise control doesn't want to work. It says 'ACC not available' whenever I hit the button. I know I have to be going over 19mph, but even at motorway speeds it still won't activate.

The manual says that this error will appear 'if, for example, the brakes are overheated'. Fat chance of that in this weather! I've been scared enough to put my foot down at all let alone give it enough beans to overheat the brakes.

It also says that 'ACC not available!' (ie the same message but with a ! on the end) means a system malfunction, but my message doesn't have the '!'.

The only other symptom is that the cruise control light comes up red during the self test at switch on. You know, when all the other lights flash on for a few seconds.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if it's supposed to flash red or if that indicates a fault. Can anyone with the ACC system confirm?

Assuming there is a problem, I guess my only option is to take it to Audi for a diagnostic check?

Cheers, Chris
  2. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Active Member Regional Rep

Have a look on the vcds users map to see if there is anyone near to you that will scan it .
  3. bigcw

bigcw New Member

I got it scanned at VASS-Tech in Whitchurch today. Apparently it's showing an error of the radar unit heater open circuit or shorted to ground, which proves that there is something wrong with it at least ie it's not just user error!

Now trying to find a dealership that has the correct tools to deal with it. Apparently it needs a radar alignment 'thing' in order to fix it.

Chris
  4. bigcw

bigcw New Member

Seems the problem is with the heater in the radar sensor in the front bumper. Audi have ordered the part and the car is booked in on Friday. Fingers crossed that will solve it!

Chris
  5. bigcw

bigcw New Member

Just in case anyone is interested, the replacement heater unit solved the problem. Replacement was just shy of £250 including the part and labour. They gave me the old one - it looks like it just unclips from the grille so if anyone experiences this in the future it's probably a DIY job to fix other than erasing the fault code.

Chris
  6. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Active Member Regional Rep

Glad its sorted
  7. Aliosha

Aliosha New Member

In my A4 Avant the system's sensor is based on a laser (so is not really a "Radar" that is a "RAdio" Detection And Range). In this case, after the alert "ACC not available" the first thing to do is to clean the lens in front of the car. In my experience (after several mysterious "radar" faults and related repairs) this simply maintenance solve the problem (saving a lot of money).