1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

accident am i at fault?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by harvz, Aug 3, 2013.

1. harvz

harvz Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Hi guys just been blamed by two drivers saying its my fault they collided. Firstly my car has not been hit by anyone or i havnt hit anyone.

I pulled out into a main road from a side street and reversed back into the side street to park my car.

When i pulled out the car on the main road, car A stopped, (i think the car had plenty of time to stop, and it stopped a fair way away from me).

Another Car. Car B then then hit car A from behind.

I never even saw the crash as i was back in the side street by then and both the drivers were having a rant at me saying its my fault.

Car B driver tried to intimidate me. I just turned around and said u should have stopped in time and given enough room, not my fault and drove off to find another car parking space ( as i was worried they might hit my car in anger).

This aint my fault right? or is it? My car didnt hit any1
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 22, 2014]

3. a6_chris

a6_chris Well-Known Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    I'd say it's car B's fault for not obviously leaving enough room.

Car A had stopped for you to complete your manoeuvre, obviously the pillock in car B.
  4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Not at all, if the 1st car had stopped in plenty of room, the 2nd driver should of been aware of what's in front of them & all insurance companies will blame the 2nd driver as they hit them from behind & should of been far enough away to brake in time.

You haven't been hit, the 1st car stopped as they saw you in plenty of time, by this I cant see how they can possibly blame you, if your words are of spoken truth :)
  5. harvz

harvz Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Thanks guys. Takes a bit of pressure off me, I think car B wanted me to admit fault as it looks like he was recording our convo on his phone.

I just had my car fitted with a new front end including new chassis legs as some idiot ran a red light and hit me. I think i attract idiots on the road :/

Might fit a camera to record.
  6. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Just say haha and walk away and its not your fault i wouldn't feel bad but that might be because im cold hearted and don't really care lol
  7. WOLF

WOLF I am WOLF.......

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Car B at fault here,driving without due care and attention!

Worry not harvz
  8. Mikemc

Mikemc Active Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Don't even know why you'd ask mate, clearly not your fault, do the two guys know each other? Because if someone hit me from behind I wouldn't blame the guy infront doing an manoeuvre, wether or not it made me have to slam the anchors on. As the driver B should be a safe enough distance away to brake
  9. Ads

Ads License to drive

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Sounds like a weird couple of roads if you had to pull out on to a main road to reverse and park in a side street.

In an insurance claim it's not your fault, although if there was a policeman watching they might claim you drove without due care and charge you for that, depending on the scenario. Usually you're not allowed to do any maneuvers on a main road.

Car B is still liable for the claim of car A though.
  10. turbonutz

turbonutz Active Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    some cars break better than others, maybe 1st car braked quickly due to caught off guard with your manoeuvre and 2nd car was forced to break quickly as well but crapier breaks and never left enough room to compensate (seen this before sitting in the ****ter car haha) but still 2nd cars fault as should be aware of breaking distances and alert to hazards as the rules of the road go!
  11. Wicked666

Wicked666 Active Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Def Car B is liable which is why he wants you to admit liability. I would take a vid of your car to prove there was no damage and maybe phone your insurance company to advise them of what happens so there's a record in case he gives your car details and suggests you have admitted liability? I'm not an expert so not 100% sure that is a good idea but is what I would do.
  12. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 3, 2013]
    With respect, don't call any insurance company, you haven't been involved in any accident, you didn't cause it, so no need & if you phone up, some of them register the call & put it on your record even if you haven't had one, been there got the t-shirt.
  13. jbh

jbh TDi lover

[Aug 3, 2013]
    I totally agree with this. my wife called up to ask about advise as a van driver broke the rear light of our Passat and didint hang around. they advised her to claim saying they would get a courtesy car out to her. then said our car would be written off as it was older than 10 years old!! I told her not to bother and I bought a rear light from a breakers. the next year her insurance jumped
    RallyX likes this.
  14. Big Pumpa

Big Pumpa Member

[Aug 3, 2013]
    Like others have said, Car B at fault here
  15. elrao

elrao Member

[Aug 4, 2013]
    I've been in a similar situation scenario where I was car b. Pillock driving while talking on his mobile, doing 60 on an main A road in a line of traffic. He decided to turn right (across traffic) to pull into a layby at the last second and did an emergency stop. Car A (in front of me) slammed on his brakes and stopped (just), I slammed on mine... In my old mk1 golf gti... Locked up and slid into the back of car a.

While the pillock caused the accident by dangerous driving, it was my fault I hit car a, as you should always be able to stop, whatever happens.

Could have been a child that ran out in the road... Would car B blame the child... (probably... But you get the point)
    voorhees likes this.
  16. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 4, 2013]
    Wise words Elrao
  17. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

[Aug 4, 2013]
    I think really you are just a witness not involved in any means you simply saw it happen.
  18. Andy Crooks

Andy Crooks Well-Known Member

[Aug 4, 2013]
    not your fault at all mate, car B did car A up the ass so car B at fault, although it does seem abit fishy to me trying to blame you, could be a crash for cash mate
  19. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Aug 4, 2013]
    he didnt see the crash
    so hes neither a witness or at fault
    just forget it and if they try to claim off your insurance how it was
    car B at fault he didnt leave enough room or wasnt paying attention.
  20. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 4, 2013]
    Trying to pull a fast one,as soon as you rear end its a stick on that its your fault so dead suspicious this
  21. T8DPR

T8DPR Active Member

[Aug 5, 2013]
    not only is car B at fault, but you can actually argue you have NO involvement in the incident AT ALL

you said yourself, no one hit you, you hit no one, you were just parking your car and someone else hit a stationary car in front of them

at best... you're a witness! (even though you saw nothing)
  22. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Aug 5, 2013]
    As every body else says, you wasnt hit, the car that saw you and stopped in good time shows you wasnt driving dangerously, reversing into the side road is a part of the driving test and as long as your way is clear and you dont obstruct you have dont nothing wrong.

clearly the rear car driving into the first car is at fault.

suggest reporting to the police to prevent any 'driving off with out reporting' claims to cover your back, but not the insurance co.
  23. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

[Aug 5, 2013]
    you're fully and solely at fault here mate, hand yourself into the local police station whilst you still can :busted_cop:

(not serious)