1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing the heater unit?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Westy, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Mar 21, 2011]
    How do I get at the heater unit? When I turn on/off the cliate control unit it sounds like something is sticking as I can hear it clearly from behind the glove box. I've also been experiencing a peppery smell when the heating is on and I can only imagine that my heater/air cn unit is at fault.

Is there a guide that shows how to get at the unit?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

4. Westy

[Mar 21, 2011]
    Cheers Si, my searching skills aren't the best!
  5. Westy

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Well I took the fan off last night and checked the air passage to thepollen filter and there is nothing in there that looks to be causing the smell coming through it.

The smell must be coming through from the engine bay!

I have recently fitted new rocker cover gasket and cam adjuster gaskets so there is no oil leaking from there. I have also cleaned my engine bay with gunk after realising I was running the oil catch can open for 6 months and it was leaking oil in the bay.

The only other place I can think that this smell might be coming from is all the grease that has splattered everywhere from a split CV boot.

I'm going to get one of those Air con bomb flush cans to try and clear the smell but it's becoming annoying now.
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Bacteria on the evaporator usually causes smells but its more of a bad egg smell than what you are describing, is your pollen filter seated correctly? and is it clean
  7. Westy

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Yeah this is like a peppery spicy smell a little like celery! It appeared shortly after fitting the oil catch can last year so I thought it was that but the contents of the can never smell like that!

The pollen filter is seated correctly and clipped down. It was changed last June as part of my service and is mint.
  8. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[Mar 25, 2011]
    My dads B5 had that smell when his heater matrix started leaking.

Clean the windscreen (inside) so it's super clean, then set your heater on windscreen mode, max heat and full fan speed, if small amounts of coolant are in the heater channels it'll show up as white mist on the windscreen, looks like steam but it'll be sticky

It's very rare for heater matrixs to go but if it is the matrix it'll get gradually get worse
  9. Westy

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Cheers Sandip. Is there a more accurate test that can be done like checking the heater matrix ;)

Where abouts is the heater matrix located?
  10. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Not sure there is to be honest, usually leaking heater matrix's cause wet floors but becuase the venting is well sealed the coolant tends to stay in the venting and evapourate when you put the heater on. Trust me, if you matrix is leaking you see the white residue on the windscreen lol

If it's a tiny leak, coolant level won't really go down, you may possibly notice some discolouration in the coolant though

The matrix is located within the depths of the dashboard :( nightmare!
  11. Westy

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Well I hope its not that then! I'll try one of these flush bomb things to see if that clears it.
  12. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Wack your heater on windscreen mode, max heat and full speed for a few mins :)
  13. Westy

[Mar 25, 2011]
    Yes sir :salute:

I'll give it a go later.