AC glovebox mod query and Aero wipers....

Kiwi Kranker

Reaction score
As I have rapidly come to learn it appears the Audi dealers around me have very little in the way of initiative or common sense...I am a magnet for the not so good ones for some reason.

Short of going in to their parts department and pointing out on a printout what parts I need to AC my glovebox (which I would do if I had the time) they seem unable to find me any part numbers for the valve and pipework to do this mod.

One guy even told me Audi never did an AC glovebox!!!!
mad.gif
WTF?

Anyway, does anybody here have or know the part numbers for the pipework and valve to do the glovebox mod?

Any help is appreciated!
beerchug.gif

On another note. Aero wipers??? In what way are these different to the standard wipers? I may have been lucky and had these on my old Quattro A6 and they could be on my new A4 for all I know but I assume they simply have a 'wing' of plastic on them to assist in working well and looking pretty sweet?

Sorry if its a pretty obvious question:sorry:....ill blame it on Monday.

I think aero wipers were standard on A6's before A4's so thats quite possible. The arm is quite chunky, and rather than a conventional blade, they just have a strip of rubber with a sprung plastic back on it, there are pictures on here if you have a search round.

People who've had the glovebox aircon fitted have said it's not worth the bother, but I'll leave that for you to decide! All the part numbers will probably be listed on ETKA, you could do worse than grab a copy off ebay for a few quid, it's worth it. Failing that if I get time tonight I will have a search through for you.

Ah cheers for that QJ I do have the aero wipers then and my old A6 definitely had them.

Ill check out eBay for a copy as suggested but if you had a chance to have a look that would be massively appreciated (cant get eBay here at work!)

The glove box mod is because the G/F and I are driving around Europe for a month in June and will be virtually living in the car so having some cold(ish) drinks may be worth the giving the mod a go.

:beerchug:

Dont even bother with it, its a pipe thats fed of the aircon into the unit, it only works when you have your aircon on cold & it doesnt keep cool when everythings of & doesnt hold the cold either, I had it in my S4 & it sucked big time, pointless mod, get a cooler box in the boot with the 12v socket, these are much much better mate trust me.

Sweet. Thats exactly the sort of thing I need to hear. I have the saloon so no 12v socket in the back IIRC I assume its an easy retrofit?

If you still want the part numbers let me know later and I'll try and find them tonight for you.

Sweet. Thats exactly the sort of thing I need to hear. I have the saloon so no 12v socket in the back IIRC I assume its an easy retrofit?

2 routes, sit cooler on back seat & plug directly into front socket or run a pair of wires through to rear from fusebox, that can handle the current being used, check the load of the cooler you want, then buy the 12v socket thatsay like I had in my S4 boot & make it fit on sidewall or somewhere, it flipped out nicely, cant recall amphage but elsawin will advise easily of gauge of wire used for oem fitment, job done, but as you want whilst driving, stick on back seat lol.

Bad idea following that guide interms of on the standard glovebox as the condensation would ruin it, the oem one has a proper fridge container part built in that has its own door to drop to open, which is white plastic insulated, not that it made any difference to the system working anyway, its tbh crap as I said, but yes you can do the mod as per the link above, but dont use stock glovebox.

if your still interested in doing the glovebox air con thing just spotted this DIY guide

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int48.shtml

Cheers for that but I think I may just run with the electric cool box. I think it will be easier to retro a power supply in the boot than start hunting out all the parts for the glove box.

Thanks guys for all your advice and help. Much appreciated

Cheers for that but I think I may just run with the electric cool box. I think it will be easier to retro a power supply in the boot than start hunting out all the parts for the glove box.

Lol I probably should have read that before seeking it all out on ETKA:banghead:

It's done now so I might as well share!

Pretty much as NHN said:

This shows the refrigerated compartment inside the glovebox:

AC2.jpg

And this is the angled part as shown in the link posted by vrbob:

AC3.jpg

Thanks QJ, I appreciate it!

I have actually been thinking might still give it a crack yet as we have some huge days on the road so I imagine it would still be useful and for the sake of a few quid (I hope!) and it keeps me entertained while fitting it.

I will also be taking your advice and getting ETKA, that way people like me can save you valuable time :wacko:

cheers again.

No worries mate, it's all interesting to me!

If you go ahead with it I'd be interested to hear what the parts cost, and see some pics too.

The cooler part I dont expect to be a few quid mate, also as I said before if you do this mod with the existing glovebox you're IMHO heading for trouble, the glovebox has a furry layer over the plastic, I suspect with condensation it will make this go all crappy given it would be on all the time no doubt if in summer, again only IMHO, but unless you use the original cooler internals you would be making a very grave mistake & also the whole glovebox has 2-3 times the volume of the oem cooler internals so it may cause some issues overall, speculative but I wouldnt hook up the aircon into the glovebox with no fridge plastic container part, your car but you've been warned & it really inst as effective or as big as the 12v boot version, its infact big enough for what 2-3 cans of coke, it tbh is quite pathetic attempt by audi.

In fairness at the bottom of that guide it does say this:

[FONT=arial, geneva]CAUTION: It was brought up that the proper glove box should be installed along with this. You can buy this expensive part (~$125) or use a small tray when keeping drinks in the glove box to prevent condensation from soaking the soft lining inside the box. Mold and other funky things could start growing if you don't do this.[/FONT]
spacer.gif

Hey James, wasnt knocking anyone, but as you can see this very warning etc was possibly missed by the OP aswell, so thats why I emphasised the issue that he possibly faced given I had this in my car & tbh it was seriously crap, anyway upto him now mate, so all good here.