1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ac fault finding

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by tangerinedream, Jul 28, 2011.

1. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Member

ive just had my ac re gased as was not working and no sign of leaks, but when picked car up he says there was 690g of gas still in there and only meant to hold 760g so was more than enough to kick in ?????

now i no thers no leaks im stuck why it don t work

if i press the ac button the engine note definetly changes so i presume the clutch on the compressor is good ( thank god)

is there any test i can do myself on ac unit etc or is it a case of throwing money and ope something sticks lol

thinking ac pressure switch but can i check 1st????
  2. Arrkon

Arrkon Midlands regional Moderator

If the pressure switch was shot, the compressor wouldnt kick in.

Have you actually looked at the compressor to see if the centre spins when you press the switch? (ie the clutch works..) as some systems increase the revs at idle so as to compensate for the extra load.
  3. tangerinedream

tangerinedream Member

i havent yet mate i cant bare to take the front off again lol
  4. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

When the econ light is lit it means the air con is off ie for economy running. So when it's not lit the a/c should actually be on !
  5. Arrkon

Arrkon Midlands regional Moderator

dont need to. you can look down from the engine bay and see it :icon_thumright: