1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABT chips potentially won't affect warrenty.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bsharp, Oct 31, 2003.

1. bsharp

bsharp New Member

[Oct 31, 2003]
    I spoke with ABT yesterday. They do aftermarket performance upgrades for all VW group brands. They proudly told me Seat has recently accepted that ABT upgrades do not have adverse effects on the car and therefore they will honour warrenty's of known chip'd Seats - any ECU issues will be reffered to ABT who match the typical 2 yr warrenty. (unsure if they extend this to 2+1yr for the UK market where the dealers to be competative add the 3rd year)

They are currently having equal conversations with Audi and expect the A3 2.0 TDi to be the first Audi to be able to have the upgrade with no affect on the Audi supplied Warrenty.

And bizarrly right now on a new car, prior to your Audi dealer first registering it, you can ask them to arrange with ABT the fitting of a chip.. does this make it a lidgit upgrade and not after market??!! One thing for sure it will be on Audi's record that the car is chipped!

B
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Oct 31, 2003]
    ABT have done RS6 upgrades that dont' affect warranty since the release of the car.
  4. JayBeeS3

JayBeeS3 Member

[Oct 31, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    David R said:
    ABT have done RS6 upgrades that dont' affect warranty since the release of the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also over here all the chipping done by ABT has full Audi warranty. You can get your car chipped by the importer who happens to be also the ABT representative in The Netherlands.
    My S3 was chipped by them and never have I heard any negative comment about it from a dealer.
    Never is there any discussion about whatever modding over here (as long as it is not NOS or something).
    Perhaps eventually it will also be like that in the UK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. MarkS3

MarkS3 Member

[Oct 31, 2003]
    is there an ABT dealer any futher south than Holland?
  6. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Nov 1, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    David R said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the UK they haven't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  7. MarkS3

MarkS3 Member

[Nov 1, 2003]
    just looked at the ABT web site for the German company and they are quoting 250bhp for a chip upgrade!! is that right?
  8. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Nov 1, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    scoTTy said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    David R said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in the UK they haven't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Several RS6 owners have had theirs done with ABT, arranged the Audi dealer with full warranty... Sounds fairly convincing to me.
  9. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Nov 1, 2003]
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. I have checked with my contact at Audi countless times. Audi UK do not warranty performance mods from Abt.

It could be the dealer has said he would cover any claims but it is incorrect to say the full warranty is in tact. If they took there car to another randomly chosen dealer in the UK then it would not be covered. Alternatively Abt may have additional warranty cover.

Either way Audi UK's warranty will not cover it. Have you asked any of these owners what they have in writing to prove your claim?

People can do what they want and I really don't mind. I just don't want anyone being misled.
  10. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[Nov 3, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    MarkS3 said:
    is there an ABT dealer any futher south than Holland?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out ABT Sportsline
  11. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Nov 3, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    scoTTy said:
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. I have checked with my contact at Audi countless times. Audi UK do not warranty performance mods from Abt.

It could be the dealer has said he would cover any claims but it is incorrect to say the full warranty is in tact. If they took there car to another randomly chosen dealer in the UK then it would not be covered. Alternatively Abt may have additional warranty cover.

Either way Audi UK's warranty will not cover it. Have you asked any of these owners what they have in writing to prove your claim?

People can do what they want and I really don't mind. I just don't want anyone being misled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate the advice, many RS owners are championing the ABT warranty deal, whether that be with the dealer or them, they don't specify. However, there are several dealers here (not Audi UK) that claim ABT mods keep warranty.

Guess the message is to be very specific with the dealer when you check.
  12. bsharp

bsharp New Member

[Nov 3, 2003]
    As my first post, ABT are still in discussions with Audi.

On a positive note, I spoke with my Audi dealer who told me so long as performance upgrades are from ABT my warrenty will still be covered. They went as far as to say they could arrange the chip upgrade before I took delivery (ideal if this was to bea lease/company car).

I am not saying this is an authentic Audi UK acceptance as the guys at ABT in the UK told me they are still in discussions to get an agreement, and they would be the first to shout from the roof tops if the agreement existed.

SO if you are thinking of chipping a new Audi with ABT and the dealer is OK with it ask them for a signed and headed letter confirming this and hope as a dealer they remain in existance for your warrenty period!

then, PARTY!
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif
  13. Jon

Jon Member

[Nov 3, 2003]
    I was informed by my dealer yesterday when i test drove an RS6 that the warranty is invalidated if it is chipped by anyone including ABT. They have had a couple of customers who *thought* they kept their warranty by chipping with ABT but were very upset when informed that this was not the case and had their warranties invalidated.

Jon.
  14. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

[Nov 3, 2003]
    Sounds like the typical misinformation that Audi dealers disseminate....
  15. Drill

Drill Member

[Nov 3, 2003]
    Are you kidding?? It's a GREAT ploy by the dealers. They get you to pay more than usual for the Abt upgrade, THEN the only way for you to get "Warranty" support is to keep bringing your car back to THEM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
  16. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

[Nov 4, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    David R said:Several RS6 owners have had theirs done with ABT, arranged the Audi dealer with full warranty... Sounds fairly convincing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    David R said:ABT warranty deal, whether that be with the dealer or them, they don't specify. However, there are several dealers here (not Audi UK) that claim ABT mods keep warranty.

Guess the message is to be very specific with the dealer when you check.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge gulf between your two posts. One says it's a full warranty amd one says it may be an Abt warranty.

This is what I am trying to hightlight (thanks for helping with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). There is lots of misleading going on and I don't like the idea of fellow forum users buying into a false promise.

Certain dealers keep implying certain things to punters but as soon as anyone asks for a written document stating that the warranty is in place in full and is valid at all the normal dealerships, the truth suddenly comes out.