1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by rick28, Oct 24, 2011.

1. rick28

rick28 Member

Hi

I have managed to snap my rear left wheel speed sensor on my Audi A3 when trying to remove it due to a recent scan by VAG-COM identifying this to be faulty. My question is, before I try this weekend, if i remove the brake caliper and the brake disc, will I be able to push the wheel speed sensor out from the front? Its sheared off completely flush around the back of the hub and after some time trying, its not budging, its just getting more and more destroyed by my screwdriver :)

Thanks in advance

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rick28

rick28 Member

Hi again

This was the code I have if anyone is interested:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.LBL
    Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
    Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0103
    Coding: 0023174
    Shop #: WSC 06435

2 Faults Found:
    00668 - Supply Voltage Terminal 30
    002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
    003 - Mechanical Failure

Thanks

4. biggles195

biggles195 New Member

Hi, I had a similar thing happen on my 2.0TDI quattro, mine were plastic so yours are presumably the same and fit it a hole bored in the hub carrier. I managed to get mine out by gripping the last bit carefully with the wire cutting bit of a pair of pliers and levering it out like removing a nail but it sound like you have passed that point.

You may be able to carefully drill a small hole down the middle and screw a coarse threaded self tapper down the middle to give you something to grip on and then pull directly outwards in the same way. I found pulling sideways made it far more reluctant to come out but a direct pull outwards worked a treat.

You can always keep driling bigger without touching the sides of the hole until you can pull out the bits, should be relatively easy as its plastic.

Hope this helps.

5. rick28

rick28 Member

Hi

I managed to get the bugger out. I was able to get a long flat head screwdriver down the small gap behind the brake disc and luckily managed to push it out from the front. Annoyingly, I have now replaced the part and after clearing the code, it came back after ten seconds of driving. What else could this be if not the actual sensor itself? Just to add, when using measurements under vag-com, the speed this wheel sensor reports isnt consistent with the other 3 wheels, sometimes its correct but then sometimes its 20kph lower than the other 3...

Thanks

6. eck1997

eck1997 New Member

Hi there, read your post with interest. Hope you got it fixed?? If not here is the answer. Since the fault code says mechanical defect, you must replace the rear wheel bearing to cure this. The sensor recieves its signal from the bearing internals, and a new rear bearing is the only cure. Believe me please, I've replaced numerous A3 8P bearings for this issue. Please respond. Thanks.

martinivw likes this.
  7. rick28

rick28 Member

yes thats right, that is exactly what I had to get done to fix the problem, replace the whole wheel bearing :)