1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABS & red exclamation mark light on

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Terry McNicholls, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Terry McNicholls

Terry McNicholls New Member

[Nov 6, 2011]
    Hi,

I've just bought a B5 Audi A4 110 SE and the ABS light came on while I was driving it home. The red exclamation light is also flashing.

Is this a common fault? It resets if you turn the car off, and comes back after driving for a while. Also, the brakes feel like the ABS is kicking in at times when it shouldn't.

I'm just wondering what the cause could be and if it's expensive! I've scanned it with my universal obd2 scanner and no codes were found. I'm going to try and get it on VAGCOM tomorrow to see if that sheds any light.

Thanks,
    Terry
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 6, 2011]
    It'll probably be a dodgy sensor or broken reluctor. Vagcom should tell you which corner to investigate.
  4. Terry McNicholls

Terry McNicholls New Member

[Nov 6, 2011]
    Cheers, I'll get the vagcom on it in the morning and see what's what. I've read about the ABS control modules failing, is this a common issue?
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 6, 2011]
    Module failure seems more common on Quattros than FWD's, but when they fail, they fail.

Yours resetting with the ignition suggests just a simple sensor fault.