ABS Light & Traction Control Light On??

wibble111

needs to scratch the itch
Reaction score
Evening all, came home from work earlier and the car was fine, nipped out about an hour later and the abs and tc lights came on and stayed on, i cycled the ignition and they stayed on.
Got back to the car about 45mins later and the car was fine :unsure:.

I know i need to get it on vagcom to be sure which i'm going to do tomorrow with my £15 fleabay special and version 409, but i just wondered if anyone has had similar problems and what it was.

My guess is that it may be a faulty abs sensor?

Opinions welcome.

Cheers, Dave.

Evening all, came home from work earlier and the car was fine, nipped out about an hour later and the abs and tc lights came on and stayed on, i cycled the ignition and they stayed on.
Got back to the car about 45mins later and the car was fine :unsure:.

I know i need to get it on vagcom to be sure which i'm going to do tomorrow with my £15 fleabay special and version 409, but i just wondered if anyone has had similar problems and what it was.

My guess is that it may be a faulty abs sensor?

Opinions welcome.

Cheers, Dave.

MEGA MEGA common fault
use VAG-Com to determin if its longitudinal or latitudunal (SP) sensor, about £80ish from stealers

both inside cabin, one is bolted to passenger side A pillar lower down, other is bolted underneath steering column, can't remember which is which tbh.

both about an hour job to change.

This fault normally accurs when you give the car hard acceleration up to and just beyond about 50ish MPH

The yaw sensor costs me just over £300 and that is bolted to the steering column on teh same bracket as one of the other two sensors, (it is about double the size)

It didnt work so I sent it back, I was mis-informed from these forums about it.

Defo check VAG-COM before buying anything if I were you.

Ok then bit of an update, i've scanned the car with vagcom and cant find any faults apart from one which was something to do with the central locking pump (over run) which i have cleared to see if it comes back.

And another fault with the xenons which was
01539 headlights not adjusted 35-00--

Nothing about any sensors, could it have been some sort of glitch?? :unsure:

I also tried to clear the headlight code but for some reason i cant, anyone know what the fault code means and how to clear it?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi there... ive had this random problem since i had tyres fitted ! god knows why...
Vag com says steering angle sensor mechanical failor. G80 or G85 ( i cant remember which to be honest)
To start with turning the car off then on again cleared the light but now its on full time. It did this once before and was told to get the car tracked up with the stearing wheel bang straight... it sorted it last time but im not so sure this time...
Any ideas ????

G85 is steering angle sensor. Mine was fecked cost £184.21 or something I think from the stealers (just the part) I done the install myself. Couple of hours max to get it out and bout half that to put it all back. If you do replace it and need help/directions/tips getting it out and back in then let me now just put mine back in today so sll fresh in the memory LOL. (Havent recoded yet though)

TBH if both lights are on it looks like it will be an ABS problem - not an ESP problem such as faulty yaw sensor.. This could be anything such as a faulty/dirty wheel sensor, or brake light switch. On mine it was simply a faulty bulb which was causing havoc.

The reason i come to this conclusion is that if the abs fails both lights come on because the ESP requires the ABS to be working,

if the ESP light comes on alone then it will proabably be a faulty yaw/acceletation sensor which costs around £100 or get one from a breaking car.

Lots of info on here just do a search. If it hasnt come back i wouldnt worry

Check your brake lights are working.

I had just these lights come on when I was in South Wales for the Rally last December, and connecting it up to VAG-COM gave me fault codes for the ABS pump and yaw sensor, amongst others.

I then noticed that the brake lights weren't working, albeit intermittently.

I replaced the brake light switch, and everything is fine now. Even the fault codes have gone...

Not saying it is your problem, but worth a quick check?!