ABS light & EML (MAF) at same time??

Reaction score
Evening gents,
I have a bit of an odd issue that I'm trying to figure out. My battery was on the way out recently and I'd had to jump start it with a battery pack on a couple of occasions. Initially I thought it was just the missus leaving the lights on, but then I had a problem after only having the radio and interior lights on for 5 to 10 mins without the engine running.

So anyway, I knew it was on the way out and yesterday my ABS light came on. I thought it was odd but could be something to do with me horsing about in the snow (I'm in Finland). Later the car wouldn't start so I jump started it, and then EML came on when I started the car.. and it was running really lumpy. I read the codes and saw that it was showing the MAF as problematic, along with Fuel trim issues.

16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
17537 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult)
17535 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult)

I thought it might be the dodgy battery, so I put it on charge overnight. This morning it wasn't showing as charged so I went and bought a new battery. I fitted that and cleared the codes, went for a drive and the EML didn't come on but the ABS light was still on. When the missus took the car later the EML came on though.

I've just cleared the codes again and went for a spin. The EML hasn't come on but the ABS light is still there. I just read the codes and have:

16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0102 - 002 - Signal too Low - Intermittent - MIL ON

I have a spare MAF that I bought a while ago (used but allegedly low mileage), but I'm wondering if i'm missing something obvious? I have had no issues at all for ages and actually just flew through my MOT a few days ago without any issues or warnings. That's the second year in a row. For these 2 lights to come on almost together seems like it's probably not a coincidence, but i'm fekked if I can think of the link.

I may go out and change the MAF just for the hell of it and see what happens. Does anyone have some wisdom to share though?

(car is a late 2001 3.0 ASN V6 quattro)
cheers
Nj

Try a hard reset, disconnect both battery leads, the n touch and hold them together for ten seconds.
This dissipates any stored energy in any electronics.
Low voltage can trigger lots of random problems/fault codes,give this a try and let us know how you get on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both codes relate to MAF failure.
Brake light switch failure can cause ABS light to come on, & is a common failure, which doesn't always throw a fault code.

thanks guys.
Paul, do you mean the switch on the pedal that operates the rear brake lights?

I'm going to change the MAF in the morning, I'll try Calum's hard reset trick and then see how things are. If I can get that sorted then i'll address the ABS light.

If you are changing brake light switch read up on it as you only get one chance to do it and if you do it wrong it’s broken. Bad design altogether. Good luck with your car

turns out it was in fact just the MAF lads. How that resulted in the ABS light staying on is beyond me. I really don't get it. But thankfully I bought a low mileage spare MAF back in 2012 when I thought I might need it. Seems I was right :D
So anyway, thankfully I didn't need to change the brake switch.

Reactions: QuattroCalum
turns out it was in fact just the MAF lads. How that resulted in the ABS light staying on is beyond me. I really don't get it. But thankfully I bought a low mileage spare MAF back in 2012 when I thought I might need it. Seems I was right :D
So anyway, thankfully I didn't need to change the brake switch.

Good news, essentially a free fix, well done that man