1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABS ECU - Memory Error (again!)

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by au_sjo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

Hi all,

I've had a search through and seen this pop up a couple of times. I'm getting a ABS DTC flagged for:

"65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error"

It comes back after you clear the DTC so it wasn't a one-off. Is there a known fix for this?

I have seen evidence of at least one guy sending his ABS ECU off to one of the repair places and it sent back as being 'OK'. but still triggering this code. I can't imagine a wiring loom issue would cause this (unless perhaps the module is receiving low voltage) as it's an internal diag test of the module itself.

Thanks
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

dieselfitter had this dragging on and on for ages.

BBAReman told him his ECU was fine the first time, and then after battling for months trying to sort it he sent it back again and they decided it was dead and sold him a replacement.

If your car is a FWD getting a replacement shouldnt be too bad, quattro ones are a bit rarer though.
  3. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

Thing is though, is it the electronic control box on the abs pump, or is it the actual abs ecu, like this?

[​IMG]

These sell for peanuts on ebay, compared to a new abs control unit.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Hmm good point.

Diesels was a faulty abs control box on the pump, but maybe that memory error was unrelated to his actual fault?
  5. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

Had a quick chat with a mate of mine, Audi Tech, and the module in the photo above is only fitted in cars with ESP apparently (and some other acronym I forget now). I highly doubt my car has this (1.8 n/a SE) so i'll assume the fault does lie inside the control module on the back of the pump.

I'll speak to the two main repair shops and see what they think regarding this error.
  6. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

Which I just tried to do but got tech-blocked by 1st line and unable to speak to techies about the particular issue :(
  7. dieselfitter251

dieselfitter251 Blow ma own trumpet?

Hey au_sjo... 65535 usually means the ECU is fubar. BBA reman should be able to either sort it or replace it. If you get the relevant part number (should be on your vagcom scan) you should have no problems in tracking down a 2nd hand replacement.
  8. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

Yeah 65535 sounds like some kind of joker/wildcard code (last byte in a 64k block). I spoke to BBA on the phone but they weren't particularly helpful and the woman wouldn't let me speak to 'one of the engineers' so I tried ECU-whatstheirnames and got a similar response.

I need to go get the part number off the unit so I can proceed either way.
  9. dieselfitter251

dieselfitter251 Blow ma own trumpet?

Hmmm, I think they're all about making money, which as they run a business makes sense. Not gonna give the info out over the phone for free when they can charge you for the service. Sound business model tbh. However, I know the BBA reman site lists relevant ecu (bosch usually) part numbers and pump numbers and how they relate. That bit of info is free. Good luck.