1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABS Computer Repair

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by au_sjo, Nov 6, 2011.

1. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

[Nov 6, 2011]
    Hi all,

So the ABS computer has been playing up for a year or so on my 1998 A4 1.8 SE (non turbo, fwd). Vagcom (or something similar at the time) said it was an intemittent memory error or something in the module.

Now i've seen the PDF's about how to repair the connections inside the module, but i'm not sure if that'll resolve my issue above? Does anyone have the knowledge? I'd rather not send it off for repair if I can do it myself (I do some electronics work).

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. PAULF

PAULF Active Member

[Nov 7, 2011]
    Try sending it to ECU Testing, they fix most ECUs, and fixed my DIS after BBA couldn't, and buggered it ( 2.5TDi tales of woe and fixes )

I also have (had?) good electronic skills, but really, all you can do is open it up and check for dry joints as any component malfunction will not show. 10 minutes in the oven at 180-200C has been known to fix board joint problems on other PCBs, if you can remove any heat sensitive parts - and the Wife lets you.
    The other thing is, of course, the plug - Calling 2.5TDi Electronauts!

I
    got caught-ish going down the most common route!
  4. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 7, 2011]
    BBA Reman did mine, turned around super quick and it has been faultless for the two years+ since done
  5. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

[Nov 11, 2011]
    Spoke to ECU Testing and they quoted me £100-200 + vat depending on the nature of the fault. IIRC the error that was logged before was along the lines of an intermittent memory failure, which if is the case i'm assuming it'd require the whole module replacing (didn't notice any flash/memory chips easily replaceable on this board).