1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy a4 convertable but which one?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by mr.raw, Apr 30, 2012.

1. mr.raw

mr.raw Member

I am just about to get my first ever Audi and I want the a4 convertable but i am not sure which engine to go for, as in diesel or petrol.

I don't do more than 5000 miles per year so would a diesel still work out a good deal?

My needs are an auto with all the toys and I was looking at the 2.0 and 2.5 tdi, but can anyone help me on what's a good buy?
  2. bowen

bowen Member

Personal preference really. What is important to you MPG?

I drive the 1.8t convertible.
  3. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

What's your budget too?

5000 miles is pretty low, so I'd avoid the TDI's, you'll pay a premium for no real benefit (aside from the extra torque :))...

1.8T is a great option, but personally, I'd go for the rarer 2005 run of 1.8T quattro S-Lines! Or failing that, one of the other 1.8T quattro sports.

2.5TDI is the FWD version only in the cabriolet and a completely different engine to the one in the V6 TDI quattro: the FWD version has the same power as the 1.8T, very similar mpg*, but a much heavier car, higher fuel costs and less tuning options...

*2.5TDI will be better on a long, slow motorway cruise, but not around town: if you're only doing 5000 miles / year, I'm assuming that the extra mpg on the long motorway cruises won't be worth the schlep of all that extra weight... having quattro IS worth the weight though!!
  4. mr.raw

mr.raw Member

Wow just realised i posted this back in 2012. April 2014 and i finally get the A4 Cab lol. 2TFSI Multitronic A4 Cab :)
  5. p1tse

p1tse Member

Nice work
    Make sure you get the multitronic serviced
  6. mr.raw

mr.raw Member

Yeah big time :)
  7. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Double that!

That's a good engine, but personally I would have gone quattro all the way (which wasn't available in the B7), so you would have had to stay with the older B6.

I prefer the quattro handling and if you're going auto, it gives you a proper auto gearbox that can handle a bit more tuning...

Don't be tempted to get that heavily remapped as the extra torque can kill multitronic gearboxes.
  8. mr.raw

mr.raw Member

I love the car but yes a 4 wheel car in auto was on the agenda but I could not find a mint one at the time. Many did not even have a multi function steering wheel. The Audi mechanic who services my VW and now this swears by the tiptronic quattro. I am loving this multitronic at the moment, very smooth and i am mostly in sports mode :)