1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About the Cigarette Lighter

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jomnhta, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jomnhta

jomnhta Member

I am just wondering if there is any light shed in the cigarette lighter area when you pull it out. Mine only got light coming underneath it (The 3 LED below it). I can't find any bulbs when I take the whole box out though and I can't get the drawer out of the housing.
  2. bouncer--daz

bouncer--daz A dog is for life....not just for friday nights!

Basically theres only one LED light i believe that gives you the glow under the ash tray and via a small white kinda tube component it directs the glow through the lighter aswell.
  3. jomnhta

jomnhta Member

Will the ash tray area glow when it comes out?

Mine is completly dark when it comes out. Is there soemthing wrong with it?
  4. bouncer--daz

the whole thing is held in by just one screw... and the plug..... take it out and you see straight away how it works.
  5. MeAndMyBaby

MeAndMyBaby Can I Borrow 1.4 Bhp off anyone please

yeah, i used that light to run wires to my footwells so theres a mild red glow under there too to match my dials. Its easy to see once you take the ashtray out. They come on when the lights are on and also can be dimmed with the standard dimmer switch too. looks very nice and not bad boy at all in red. tried in blue but it was far to bright and didnt match! check with a power meter your getting power on the wire else your bulb mite just be gone if it doesnt come on
  6. garratt83

garratt83 Member

Do you have any pics of your footwells and how did you do it

Cheers
  7. bouncer--daz

I was toying with that idea... would be interest too see that results... what bulbs did you use to get a nice glow instead of the the chavy neon effect?
  8. buckas

buckas Member

Do your shoelaces keep coming undone then lads?
  9. bouncer--daz

lol.... I have velcro:p i think im guna have a go at this lil mod when I get chance
  10. jomnhta

jomnhta Member

Any pics for us to take a look?
  11. MeAndMyBaby

i'l take a pic tonite when i get my car back, its only suble not massively bright, and i got the lights from a computer shop, i'l show u later when i post the pic. how do i post the pic on here though coz i'm new and dunno how to do it.........nice one guys
  12. MeAndMyBaby

[​IMG]

this is just a test to see if i can put piics on here, i'm bored in work, i'l do the proper pic later
  13. MeAndMyBaby

here we go,,,,,

Rite, i apologise for the bad quality of the pics and i may try to take more but my phone camera has a flash and so cancels out any light. I had to use my dads phone coz its old and has night mode so the quality isnt so good but you get the idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally the blue i was on about, i'm not a fan myself qhich is why i dont turn them on, i havent got around to unistalling them.

If you guys like the look then just say and i'l do a post with how to fit them and what to use etc, the whole set up inc lights costs about a tenner
  14. MeAndMyBaby

oops, need to put the pic in of the blue lol
    [​IMG]
  15. bouncer--daz

im not a fan of the blue either... think I may have ago at the red myself 2mora due too having too much time on my hands. Any advice on fitting would be helpful
  16. MeAndMyBaby

basically what your looking to do is pop on e-bay and get some of these.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUAL-30CM-COL...ryZ75520QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i've tried different lights and these are the best. theyre for computers so they are 12v ideal for the car. this is what i use and used to sell on ebay funnily enough. Anywho.....you can get some of the snap on connectors from halford so u can piggy back onto the wires from behind the cigarette lighter for your + an - and run the wires under the footwells.....you will need to extend the wires aswell............. theres an inverter and a switch. i installed the switch under the steering wheel but you dont need the switch. You'l just need to work out the wiring loom and cut it out. i just used sticky back plastic then to stick the lights and inverter under the footwells. be warned though, the longer the wire coming from the inverter, the less light will come from the lights due to the resistance so make sure to extend the wires before the invertor and not after. its just a case of playing round then, took me an hour or too and some sweat as always with cars contorting your body into small places etc. By using the wire off the lighter it means that the dimmer switch will work for the lights aswell which is good. If u have any probs let me know and i can go into more detail.