1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaargh! I've dinged it!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by beaker, Sep 11, 2005.

1. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 11, 2005]
    What a twat! I've only gone and dented the A3. Parking next to a 4x4 and rolling back into the space. I was watching in my wing mirror and had loads of room but I forgot about that damn spare wheel. Crunch!

Anyway, the 4x4 was fine but I've got a bit of dent right on the Audi badge which is now cracked. Looks like one that can be knocked back out but I think I can also see a liitle crease running along the boot line.

I suspect this is going to mean a new rear panel and badge. Any idea how much this will sting me? I'm guessing a couple of hundred. javascript:void(0)
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Wish life had an undo button.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Sep 11, 2005]
    Sorry to hear beaker.

And yes, an undo button would be sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  4. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    Just been into Camerons in Perth and they reckon they can repair it. Not got the final quote as they're posting it out but looks upwards of £300. Could be an insurance job which will mean a brand new rear boot lid, including window as it can't come off.

I've got protected no-claims but does this mean I can put it though them without fear of reprisal from the insurance. Will I still have my 5+ years no claims? and will my premiums go up?
  5. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Sep 12, 2005]
    If the paint hasn't actually cracked, then I would try Dent Devils or similar. The 'Paintless dent removal process' is pretty amazing and would cost about £100-150.

Then it would just be the cost of a new badge.
  6. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    where are they based?
  7. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    where are they based?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're a national franchise, so should be one in your area. If you look in yellow pages there will be a national number that you phone to find your local franchise.
  8. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've got protected no-claims but does this mean I can put it though them without fear of reprisal from the insurance. Will I still have my 5+ years no claims? and will my premiums go up?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the real <unt.

Yes you'll keep your ncb, but your base premium will still go up.

So the £uckers will get you one way or the other.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Bitter Experience.
  9. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    ah, but what if I just switch insurers when its time to change? If I still have 5+ year NCB then surely I should be OK. Or do I need to inform them of the claim?
  10. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Sep 12, 2005]
    what, you think they'll let you get away with that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All claims are shared on a central database now. To the extent that when I was getting my A3 insured, when I didn't declare an accident the phone operator said "what about x on the nn/nn/2004?"
    "Ah yes, sorry I forgot"
  11. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    a claim is a claim. Protected NCB is only valid with your current insurer...

[ QUOTE ]

So the £uckers will get you one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

how very, very true.
  12. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ah, but what if I just switch insurers when its time to change? If I still have 5+ year NCB then surely I should be OK. Or do I need to inform them of the claim?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are'obliged' to inform any insurer of ALL claims made when applying for new insurance.

So Eeef is totally right, you will keep your 5+ years no claims, but they will almost definately bump up your base premium based on the cost of repair / claims you have had.
  13. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    What we talking here? Its about £35/mth at the moment. I reckon a new rear boot hatch (which is what they will want done) will be about £600 or more, probably more as the window alone is £300.

Will my insurance double?
  14. simonl

simonl Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    So Eeef is totally right, you will keep your 5+ years no claims, but they will almost definately bump up your base premium based on the cost of repair / claims you have had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why protected no claims is a waste of time.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  15. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    Eeef, what happened to your premiums then? It sounds like you got stung by the insurers.
  16. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Sep 12, 2005]
    Head on colision with an uninsured gypo in a flatbed lorry.

Premiums, quite literaly......doubled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  17. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Head on colision with an uninsured gypo in a flatbed lorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the way you tell'em!!!!!!!
  18. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    Ah, that sounds a lot more expensive than mine, but then I was at fault.

I'm going to ring dent devils. I reckon they might be able to sort this. Audi said they could fix it but wanted to put some putty or filler or something on afterwards. I have no idea what this is for but they need to re-spray the panel after adding it. Might be a scam.

Looks like dent devils might be able to fix it having seen the examples on their site. I then just need to get a new badge but doubt that will break the bank, though probably overpriced anyhow.

*Edit
    Just got a response from Dent Devils. Seems they charge £75 which covers three small dents on one panel, inclusive of VAT and call out fee. Sounds very reasonable.

Here's hoping.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
  19. Horchsense

Horchsense Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why protected no claims is a waste of time.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...I paid £411 for premium on new A4 avant tdi (group 13). Drove it to Spain, smashed it up, cost the insurance company not far short of £10,000 to put it back together again. Part ex-ed A4 against new A3 SB (group 11), paid following year's premium of £365. Seems protected bonus was worthwhile to me...
  20. simonl

simonl Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmm...I paid £411 for premium on new A4 avant tdi (group 13). Drove it to Spain, smashed it up, cost the insurance company not far short of £10,000 to put it back together again. Part ex-ed A4 against new A3 SB (group 11), paid following year's premium of £365. Seems protected bonus was worthwhile to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's soooooo many factors. Was it the same insurer? If you had another crash and another claim, then switched insurers next year, they would still remove 3 years NCB regardless.
    Even if you don't have protected NCB, you still only lose 2 years after 1 claim.
    You can't compare your 2 qoutes. Two totally different cars in different groups. Even when cars are in the same group, the differences can be huge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

My brother has just insured a £22k 3.2V6 group 18 Audi for £10 less than a £7k Golf GTI T (group 15)... figure that one out!
    Not saying your wrong, just saying don't let the insurance companies lul you in to a false sense of security by offereing their worthless products (10 month bonus accelerator a classic example). Once you have more than 1 claim, no matter what protection you have, they will stuff you... I know this because they stuffed me... TWICE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Elephant/Admiral BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif of course their nice robot saleswomen from Derby will tell you otherwise.
  21. cdb2

cdb2 Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    If you have it repaired by one of these mobile dent bods, is that going to affect any Audi warrenty you have on the tailgate\paint? Surely Audi would insist on it being done by an Audi Apporoved Bodyshop for all the warrenty to stay intact?
  22. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Sep 12, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you have it repaired by one of these mobile dent bods, is that going to affect any Audi warrenty you have on the tailgate\paint? Surely Audi would insist on it being done by an Audi Apporoved Bodyshop for all the warrenty to stay intact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, how would they ever know. Secondly, these dent devil franchises are used by Audi and the rest of the trade every day.

Audi would not / could not invalidate paint warranty on a ding that never broke the paint.
  23. Horchsense

Horchsense Member

[Sep 12, 2005]
    Yeah - this is potentially a very long & boring conversation - however - the 2 premiums were both quoted & paid to the same company - esure. I'm no great defender of the insurance industry - they usually try & weadle their way out of everything- but in this instance I was amazed that there seemed to be no loading for a very expensive claim. In any case most companies NCB protection works on 2 "lives" within 3 years & most are only interested in claims made within the last 3 years. Before my claim, I actually had 18 years NCB. But I've no doubt that without NCB protection I would have been screwed. That was 1 year ago - with luck, another 2 years down the road I'm free to shop around again - if you see what I mean...
  24. beaker

beaker Member

[Sep 20, 2005]
    Oh well, Dent Devils had a look and said it can't be fixed by them. Looks like an insurance job now. £971 to replace the rear door. Ouch!

Still £200 to me so I don't care how much they're charging...until I renew my insurance that is.
  25. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[Sep 20, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh well, Dent Devils had a look and said it can't be fixed by them. Looks like an insurance job now. £971 to replace the rear door. Ouch!

Still £200 to me so I don't care how much they're charging...until I renew my insurance that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I take it there is a double skin at that point stopping them then ?.

Sorry to hear.