thought id post up a fault i had today on a '56 lwb a8 v8 tdi. electric column for and aft/up and down wouldnt work. bearing in mind.... GILDERS HAD TOLD THE GUY IT NEEDED A NEW STEERING COLUMN ECU AND COLUMN ADJUSTMENT SWITCH PLUS CODING IN Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£............... my findings......... switch wouldnt work. seemed completely dead. the actual values confirming the switch values were not registering in via the diagnostics. there was a fault code relating to this in the column ecu, but simply a code relating to general control failure. however on checking in guided functions with the vas 5052 there was a system test (basic setting)..... on this test its supposed to extend/retract the column thru its full plane of movement up/down/for/aft. this showed up that it did indeed have full movement for and aft but not up and down. when it tried to move up and down you could see it move slightly but seemed to jam. and would not complete the basic setting. i stripped the column down to find out what was going on. on the left side of the column is the for/aft motor. on the right side is the up/down motor. now the up/down motor drives two threaded sections (one either side of the of the column itself) the right side (as your sat in the seat) is driven directly off the motor the left side threaded section is driven by a minature toothed belt (like a cambelt). its covered by a clip-on white plastic cover. there are timing marks on the two pulleys to run in sequence, ie both together! these were out for some reason, by two teeth! causing the resticted movement. on correcting this by removing the minature cambelt, moving the left pulley and refitting the belt. i then restarted the test sequence (basic setting) it moved with full plane movement in all directions this time saying basic setting completed! then on operating the switch it was suddenly working just fine! fault code deleted. all was well. i must of move the column up and down 20 times and the belt didnt slip..... dont know why it did in the first place. anyway we charged him 2 hours plus diagnostics, told him what we found etc. thought id share this with the forum!