1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 Tiptronic oil change

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C6 Chassis)' started by Jconway651, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Jconway651

Jconway651 New Member

Looking into changing the ATF fluid in my Allroad.I have the ASB engine (3.0 TDI V6) and JMQ gearbox (variant of 09L).
    Does anyone know the VAG part number for the ATF fluid, sump gasket and the filter??
    Looks pretty straight forward to do, anyone done this yet and noticed any improvement?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Jconway651

Jconway651 New Member

Spoke with friendly parts guy today at Audi, informed me that the ATF fluid part number is
    G060162A2, which is the same as ZF lifeguard 8.
    Audi are after £34,00 a litre and it needs approx 5-6.

4. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

Strainer / filter P/N:- 09L 325 429
    Gasket for sump P/N:- 09L 321 371 A
    Sump cover bolts P/N WHT 000 747

Drain plug/bolt with seal P/N:- 018 321 377 B
    Refill plug/bolt P/N:- 01V 321 376
    Refill plug/bolt seal P/N:- 01V 321 379

Now oil there have been various ones ....

G 055005 A? (yellow) = ZF LifeGuard 6 approx from production dates 2004 IMO Link:- G-055-005 - Synthetic Oil Europe

G 055162 A? ATF (blue) = ZF LifeGuard 6+ (From February 2005 production) Link:- G-055-162 - Synthetic Oil Europe

G 060162 A? ATF (green) = ZF LifeGuard 8 (From March 2008 production) Link:- G-060-162 - Synthetic Oil Europe

Do you happen to have serial of gearbox? is on a plate on base viewable easily when under car, VCDS scans of gearbox module also have it.

5. Jconway651

Jconway651 New Member

Ok so I'm holding fire on the oil change, I bought the car from audi and it's still got 10 months warranty.
    I originally wanted to drop oil as gearbox was noisey when changing down in S mode from 3rd - 2nd and from 2nd - 1st.
    It makes the same noise although worse when I change down using paddles. Noise is worse with higher rpm.
    It's a Metallica scrubbing grinding that last between 1-2 as Seconds. The higher the engine rpm the longer and louder the noise is.
    It changes up in D and S with no issues or noises, and only makes noise in when changing between gears mentioned.
    Any ideas???

6. mully1

mully1 New Member

Hi there
    if it's still under warranty no problem just take it back, let Audi take the cost no point in having a warranty and not using it. As you will know Audi repair cost's are horrendous don't try and fix it yourself you may invalidate the warranty,

Best of luck

7. Tank.

Tank. Member
    VCDS Map User

to honour the warranty from the transmission place i got the new gearbox from ive gotta take it back next year to have the fluid changed, to the tune of £275 +VAT

8. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

They are taking the pi$$, I would question that. These boxes are "sealed for life" so they are either putting cr@p oil in the box or they are robbing there customers blind...

9. Tank.

Tank. Member
    VCDS Map User

Well there was a gallon bottle sitting on the reception desk when i went in the other day, labelled as their own stuff. The guys reason for being that dear is "price of oil is through the roof just now"

Sadly though to keep the warranty they can bend me over as much as they like :(

10. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

11. Tank.

Tank. Member
    VCDS Map User

Yea thats who did it. Wasnt 100% sure on the repair so took the car back for a test drive last week.

Chap said it was performing as it should which i was satisfied with, during the drive i happened to ask about their prices said multitronic was £175 + vat and steptronic was £275+ vat

Initially he thought my box was multi which i panicked at a little but after checking he did confirm it was steptronic

12. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

ZF are manufacturer of the gearbox, different variations are used in the BMW & Audi, BMW term theirs Steptronic and Audi Tiptronic but same tech/oils.

Here is a PDF for you to view from ZF Link:- http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/document/lubricantslists/TE-ML_11.pdf

On page 5 you will find :-

I have never seen any info posted or read any tech doc stating yearly service regime on our tiptronic gearboxes (ZF Model is 6HP19A).

As Mackies are certified as an A1 rated supplier by ZF , scroll to bottom of this link:- Partners*- Auto Repair*Tollcross,*Glasgow*|*Mackie Automatic & Manual Transmissions

I'd be sending them that PDF from ZF and querying their warranty terms plus be asking someone at ZF why does an A1 rated supplier stipulate such conditions.

I was seriously considering Mackies transmissions after all the good things I've read about them but after reading your info I think I'd rather not use them!

#11 gupsterg, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  13. Tank.

Tank. Member
    VCDS Map User

I'll take a shot of the warranty docs when i get back in the house later let you see it

gupsterg likes this.
  14. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

Please do, if I have time this week will ring Mackie's to see what they say when pick their brains!

Genuine ZF Lifeguard 6 is about £15.60 for 1L @ Bristol Transmissions , Link:- ZF Lifeguard 6, Shell M 1375.4,Transmission Fluid, ATF,

What were Mackie's asking for 1L? the oil service prices are same as Bristol Transmissions IIRC.

15. Tank.

Tank. Member
    VCDS Map User

Should have asked for fluid price really, the quote was for the complete change of fluid, including the torque converter so the full 10L i think?
    £275+ vat for fluid filter and labour

16. Jconway651

Jconway651 New Member

Was in audi today, technician came out with me for a ride and was at a loss as to what the issue was. Said that the tiptronic box's give very little issues. So it's going in next week so they can have a proper look.
    Very interested to get to bottom of this. Wonder if I'll need my gearbox rebuild like tank did.

17. Jconway651

Jconway651 New Member

Brief and rather embarrassing update, so car went into Tetbury Audi and after half a day was called saying it was fixed.
    There was a heat shield (near passenger side front drive-shaft) that was clattering about. In my laziness I didn't bother to get under the car as it was under warranty, also just assumed it was gearbox related as it occurred on down-shift.
    All fixed and super smooth again.

gupsterg likes this.
  18. gupsterg

gupsterg Active Member

Good news ;) cheers for update :icon thumright:

19. mully1

mully1 New Member

:audibash:I did say if it was under warranty let Audi have it never fix it yourself or even try, but a good result anyway