A6 slow pick up

fjtwelve

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2001 A6 Avant quattro sport 2.5TDi V6 180hp. It has a very sluggish pick up from a standing start, say anything below 15-1600rpm. Is this typical or is there something wrong? Absolutely flies once moving but I'm very wary of pulling out in front of anyone. Does fitting a Tunit/K&N filter improve the low engine speed response?

Hi,

My A6 155Bhp is the same, little sluggish until revs over bout 1800, then when turbo kicks in about 2500 it picks up even more.......but not at its best as im suspecting MAF failure.

I'm getting a new one one monday so 'ill post if there is any difference on pick from stand still.

The turbo won't be spinning much until you get to around 1200/1400 rpm so there will not be much oomph to propel the car - but most of the torque will become instantly available from about that point on and off you go!

In the end, i stripped my MAF and gave it right good cleaning.

WOW.....what a difference!! Can feels the car pulling hard when i put my foot down.

Will clean it on a regular basis i thinks.

How did you clean it and how did you take it apart, thinking that mine may need a clean on my 1.9?

Didn't have any security torx tools to remove the actual 'hot wire' component, however, I have some electrical contact cleaner, which evaporates and doesnt leave a residue.

Once I had the MAF removed, I removed one end which is like a 'honeycomb' plastic cap. once removed and using the straw provided with the E.C.C spray can I held it close but NOT touching the sensor and sprayed, several short bursts to ensure that the dirt was shifted, then shook the excess liquid out. Placed the unit on the radiator with the heat flowing through the MAF as the air flow for 20mins to ensure it was completely dry.

Plugged it back in and what a difference.

Audi qouted £75.10 plus VAT for new unit, not recon nor on an exchange basis, (or at least that is HULL AUDI's policy?)

It's an easy task, even easier if you have a small 5 point 9star) security torx tool

I Purchased the spray from HALFRAUDs....about £4. but worth a try before you shed money for a new MAF.

I've ordered some torx tools and can post step by step pics if you like??

thanks chaps. I have posted a thread on fitting a Turbochip, which has helped sort the problem. The flat spot has largely disappeared amongst other things.