A6 Retractable Mirror different question to the norm!

Kiwi Kranker

Reaction score
Well after a horror weekend where my car was clipped twice which promptly left me with two completely useless door mirrors I am in the market for two complete new electrical units. The covers came through ok (how this happened is beyond me:think: ) so its just the motor unit and bracket that I need...

One question...having only had the car for about 5 weeks I have no idea if the mirrors electrically retract. Its a 99 2.8 quattro avant without the electric memory seats. Is there anyway to easily tell?

Both units are toast so trying them out is now out of the question. I was just going to grab a couple of units from eBay or eurocarparts but I dont want to get it wrong!

Any ideas?

Cheers as usual!

The mirrors will NOT electrically retract on these. I believe this function only came as an option much later

Simon

Ive a '98 A6 which does'nt have retractable mirrors. BUT....in the hand book it shows an extra position on the adjustment switch on the center console by the handbrake. You turn the knob 180degrees to engage the retract facility.

If you only have L and R marked on the switch then you don't have retractable mirrors.

...and I've got a 98 A6 avant with folding mirrors (and memory seats) -so can confirm that Audi did do them right from the start of the model and also I can confirm that to retract the mirrors the mirror adjuster turns 180 degrees to a picture of a retracted mirror .........and if left at the nearside mirror will dip the mirror glass when reverse gear is selected to show you the kerb.

Although this is an older thread, I definitely learned something new here. I thought for a moment I was going crazy when - at one point - I put the car in reverse and the mirror 'dipped' downward. I only saw it happen once, and hadn't noticed it since.

...and I've got a 98 A6 avant with folding mirrors (and memory seats) -so can confirm that Audi did do them right from the start of the model and also I can confirm that to retract the mirrors the mirror adjuster turns 180 degrees to a picture of a retracted mirror .........and if left at the nearside mirror will dip the mirror glass when reverse gear is selected to show you the kerb.

Is that only on cars with the power fold? may have to try on my AR...