1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 rear wheel bearing noise?

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by imijut, Jun 10, 2010.

1. imijut

imijut New Member

[Jun 10, 2010]
    Hi I own an A6 s line 2005. I was away abroad for 3 months and my car wa sin the garage all this time. When Icame back and droveit, I discovered this noise that comes from the rear wheels. The noise is small when driving and its like a clicking noise which happens with every revolution. However when I brake, this noise becomes apparent.

Some friends sayits the brake pads,some say it could be the rear wheel bearing. I have to go to london next week and worried if I can take it on the road in such condition. Has someone encountered similar problem. Your help owuld be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Inskip75

Inskip75 Member

[Jun 11, 2010]
    Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me, I'd check other bits - if you get someone in the back and try bracking does the noise go away? or get worse - this could indicate pads - or drive with handbrake on slightly -does this affect noise?
  4. fjtwelve

fjtwelve Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 14, 2010]
    Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me either, a wheel bearing on the way out has a fairly low pitched growling noise that may vary with speed. Have been through a number of bearings on VAG cars over the years and not had one that clicks or is related to braking before.
  5. willix

willix New Member

[Jun 17, 2010]
    Hi,

Im new to all this forum stuff. But, if it helps, I've been very lucky in owing several A6 Avants. Both 2.7TDI the current is a TDI V6 S-line. Both the cars have had new rear bearings. The old one had one at about 60K miles this one has had BOTH done, 1st at 60K - amazing - and the other less than 10k miles after. its the ony problem I've had.. now looking at the Q7 any problems with them anyone?

regards
    Willix