1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 Misfiring

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by enda1, Mar 7, 2006.

1. enda1

enda1 Member

[Mar 7, 2006]
    Need some help/advice. My '99 A6 1.8T has developed a misfire and loss of power above 5K revs. The car has 67K on the clock. It's recently been serviced and all Audi parts were used. I don't have access to VAG.COM but I have a OBD11 scan tool and this is showing no faults. Before I bring it to the dealer to get the diagnostics checked is there anything obvious such as
    1) Coil packs do they fail and can I check them with a multimeter
    2) Fuel filter, how often does this need replacing
    3) MAF, I know my brothers passat diesel has problems with these but are the petrol ones more reliable.

If there is anything I am missing, if so help would be appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

[Mar 7, 2006]
    leads and plugs? My dad had his car serviced with new leads and plugs etc, then driving under load / putting foot down car began to misfire....problem? A spark plug had cracked!

Simple repair but costly to trace as the garage searched for it. was too cold and wet for my old man to b bothered and have a look himself!
  4. enda1

enda1 Member

[Mar 7, 2006]
    Thanks for the reply Dan. I changed the plugs but the problem is the same before and after the change
  5. dummi

dummi smoking a6

[Mar 7, 2006]
    coil packs and maf are quite common problems on petrol engines

if you need any new VAG parts try www.vagparts.com , cheap than your local stealer
  6. HNH5

HNH5 Member

[Mar 7, 2006]
    an easy way to see if the MAF has died is to drive the car with the sensor unplugged - if it's the same with the sensor unplugged then you can be almost sure it needs replacing.
  7. enda1

enda1 Member

[Mar 10, 2006]
    I used a CTools scanner check the engine faults. i got the following code
    "45AA Tank Breathing Valve-N80 Open circuit". Anyone know where this valve is and how easy is ti to access