1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 Juddering/stuttering engine

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Ian_Whitworth, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Ian_Whitworth

Ian_Whitworth New Member

[Dec 26, 2010]
    Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

My second post and its a problem!!

I'll start with my car, an '57 A6 Avant S-Line, 2.0 litre diesel, Automatic (flappy paddles etc etc!), 46000 miles, 7k overdue service! 2 months out of warranty :(

I first noticed the problem perhaps 3 weeks ago, but as the wife normally drives the car, it could have been happening for sometime before........

Symptoms :-

Cold engine - Full power accross the rev range, seems to run fine.

Warm-ish engine - Initially, power seemed good up to around 2500rpm, after that the engine has a significant juddering/stuttering, as though a misfire was happening? this juddering occured right up the rev range to redline, but with no/very little power, and with very little increase in speed and sometimes depending on gear, speed would decrease!
    I ccould tickle the throttle and kep rev's below 2.5k and speed would increase well. But anything above that and the juddering would return.

I put this down to the cold as it seemed to go away when the weather "warmed" up recently, but when I drove it on christmas day it has come back with a vengeance. It has got worse as now the juddering occurs at a little over 1500rpm.

If I rev the engine in neutral, it revs fine and seems to sound well. There is no smoke from the exhaust. I've disconnected the MAF and the fault is still apparant.

So before I take it to the gararge, wha do you chaps think? Anything I can try?

Thans for your time,

Ian
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. mark.colledge

mark.colledge Member

[Dec 27, 2010]
    I'm having the exact same problem with my a3.
    It is really starting to annoy me. I have a split in a pipe, could be that.

However I think it might be down to our cars being a deisle engine.
    Deisel freezes around -15 so mabie it could be a build up of fuel wax on the filter.

If you find a fix or find out the problem can you please let me know.
  4. mark.colledge

mark.colledge Member

[Dec 27, 2010]
    Check your air filter. I have changed mine and so far it seems okay. Touch wood.
  5. Ian_Whitworth

Ian_Whitworth New Member

[Dec 27, 2010]
    hmm, I drove back from my parents today (80 miles or so) and it was doing it all the way. Unloaded the car, 15 mins later went to the chippy and it drove like a dream......

It had warmed up a tad, a balmy +3!!

Stuck my brothers diagnostic box on it and it came back with no error codes.

Gonna change the air and fuel filter tomorrow, see if that changes anything. Failing that I'll have to stick it to a garage for someone to havee a look.
  6. mark.colledge

mark.colledge Member

[Dec 28, 2010]
    I changed mine and it's working a dream now. Power is back. Running like a dream again.