1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 door hinge replacement

Discussion in 'Classic Audi Forum' started by millstream, Jan 8, 2006.

1. millstream

millstream New Member

[Jan 8, 2006]
    My dvr's lower door hinge is worn an Adi that I have to replace whole hinge unit costing £70 + respray,vat etc. it's a 1996 model. Can I just replace the pin? Any links?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. mas

mas Member

[Jan 9, 2006]
    when you say 'worn' how do you mean ?

If the door is sagging a little - A quick fix I have used on the A4 is to undo the lower bolts holding the lower hinge to the body and slip a washer in between the hinge and the body. Problem solved.
  4. scotty33

scotty33 Member

[Jan 9, 2006]
    If the set up is the same as an 80, you don't even need to change the pin. If you
    remove one of the rear facing bolts from a hinge, there may be a 12mm hex hole, through an 'insert' in the hinge. These
    insert are threaded, so you can use them to alter the position of the hinge(s). You need to slacken the side facing bolts as well to allow movement and support the door. That's if it has the 80 style hinges
  5. millstream

millstream New Member

[Jan 13, 2006]
    Thanks guys. But the problem is the main pin on the hinge is worn so that you can lift the door up & down by at least 2 mm causing the locking system to work harder. I just thought you could get replacement pins specifically to cover my model
  6. scotty33

scotty33 Member

[Jan 14, 2006]
    You may be able to get new pins, but the moving part of the hinge will also have some wear in it. If you can adjust the hinge(s), you should be able to restore the lock alignment. If it is the slack in the hinge that is getting to you, then you may need another hinge. A better explanation here: http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name...ight=door+hinge