A6 C5 'Concert' system problem.

FCPete

Slowly getting better
Reaction score
Website
www.youwantthiscar.com
Hmm, my front right (drivers) door speakers aren't working.

I've pulled the head unit out and checked the connections, they seem to be sound, I've also given the connector on the sub in the loadbay a wiggle and no sign of anything from the front door.

All other speakers work fine.

Don't know if it's BOSE or standard, sub is black tupperware with I think a red plug at the top (think it's red, as you open the right hand cubby there's a plug at the top going into the tupperware, that's the one I wiggled).

I don't know if someone's had the door trim off, and I've not checked the actual speaker connections in the door yet.

Is it likely to be something else?

When you pulled the HU did you have a brown standard ISO speaker connector with 4 or 6 wires going to it?
If so then you have the non Bose system. The front speakers run off the HU on the non Bose system, but run off an amp in the boot on the Bose system. Both systems have a sub and amp in the boot, but with non Bose it just runs the rears and the sub.
Is the drivers speaker completely dead or does it work sometimes? There is a weak connection in the drivers footwell, by the A pillar, where the speaker wires go from the footwell to the trunking between the cabin and door. This can get dirty and provide intermittant cutting out, but usually when you jack the volume right up it will overcome the problem albeit temporarily. It's really difficult to get to as well. I would first measure the impedance on the speaker connector at the HU to check if it's open circuit first, (it should 4 ohms or a bit higher). If it is OC then you will have to pull the doorcard, but if both the woofer and the tweeter aren't working it's unlikely to be a dead speaker, as it's very rare for both to blow at the same time. They both run off the same cable, which goes to the woofer, then the tweeter just piggybacks off this connection.
If the impedance at the HU connector is OK then it has to be a channel blown on the HU, but I'd be surprised if this was the case. Much more likely to be a connection issue either between the door & cabin or on the speaker itself.

Thanks Andy.

Turns out it's the non-Bose system, I did the impedance check and it was open circuit on the drivers door so I whipped the door trim off and the speaker plug was disconnected along with the plug for the alarm LED.

Quite a relief that, I thought it might have been suffering from broken wire syndrome.

Car feels much nicer now, weird the way that happens.