1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a6 avant buyers guide

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by gtiboy, Sep 6, 2012.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Member

I have begun my search for a a6 avant and would like advice on which model to choose i fancy a 2.5 buy my brain keeps shouting 1.9?
    diesel of course.
    I would also like if possible a list of common problems everyone keeps ranting about gearboxs ?
    thanks in advance
  2. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

Stick with manual gearboxes and you'll be ok. If it's economy you after then go for the 1.9, if it's power and torque you after then go for the v6 tdi...it's a good 10-15Mpg better than the equivalent v6 petrol and as powerfull + with twice the torque !
  3. gtiboy

gtiboy Member

Is the manual reliable ? in the 2.5tdi guise.
    I will be loading a little weigh round but not enough to fold the seats .
    I fancy the 2.5 as when i travel 200 mile i need comfort and cruise ability.
    wpould it be fair to expect 40 mpg with a 2.5 around town and a little more on the motorway ?
  4. adamss24

They have the most reliable gearboxes, dont worry about lugging weight- the v6 can up-root trees and pull the stumps out of the ground, however the 40Mpg in town will be hard to achieve, even pd130 struggles with that figure !
  5. wesmaster

wesmaster Member

I can confirm the mpg, around town I'm getting 38-40, on a good run 48-52 (grandad mode!) I have remapped it though. (manual v6 155, now 196)
    Watch for rust on the roof where the roof rails are, and make sure the V6 reaches running temp! Thermostat is an common problem.
    I was torn between the 1.9 and 2.5, would never get the 1.9 after driving V6, loads of torque! and quieter.
  6. adamss24

Wes's audi a6 is a 155Bhp with a 6 speed manual gearbox ! The quattro will have a much lower figure but will still do 40-45mpg on motorway whilst hauling more weight (couple of hundred kg more!) and being a permanent 4 wheel drive.

I have just tinkered with a b6 audi a4 FWD PD130 and it's nowhere near as powerful as a stock v6 tdi ! I also had to fit a heavy duty clutch and single mass flywhee which rattles like mad and with the bigger turbo it's lost the low revs pull.

Very disappointed with the outcame especially as the fuel economy is worse than the stock v6 ! And as mentioned, the v6 tdi is quieter especially at a fast motorway drive !
  7. gtiboy

gtiboy Member

Went to see one yesterday 2.5tdi avant auto but the gearbox was a little juddery ,apart from that the car was mint and i would have had it off him but something in my mind said no?
    He said they all do that at low revs and speeds but i wasnt convinced.
    I amoff to look at a 2.5tdi sport quattro tomorow cant wait as i have a good feeling about this all the spec and history inc mot and tax disks sound too good to be true, but will have to see .