1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 4.2 V8 Avant..........what to look for?

Stuart Piper Apr 9, 2013

1. Stuart Piper

Stuart Piper New Member

Hi, newbie post so be kind!!

Am looking to purchase a 2000 Vintage A6 4.2 V8, currently have MB E320 Cdi, but as this is used purely for weekend use, i fancied something different. Now its not gonna be new, but i has been looked after, has fsh most VAG but later ones are indies, currently 120k on the clock, but does seem to be a tidy example. The price is silly, obviously no one wants a thirsty V8, but i will only be doing 6k a year, and most of that will be trips out and towing our caravan (yes stone me if you must but it does have a very useful 4wd for when things get slippery, where our current E class IS useless here)
    Now mpg is not going to be great, some people talk about 24mpg as an average, i'm 40+ so not a nutcase, but do enjoy the odd spirited drive.
    Why a V8, simply the power, the joy of the drive and the sound. No matter what i do to my diesel, it will always sound like a diesel!
    hopefully someone can offer me a general input of their reliability and what to be looking for?
    many thanks
    Stuart