1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 4.2 Quattro on LPG?

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by reggieroo, Aug 14, 2010.

1. reggieroo

reggieroo Member

While looking at A6 Avants last night I cam across a really nice fully loaded A6 4.2 Quattro. It had recaro leather, tv, dvd, sat nav well the list goes on. It also said it was 340bhp, is this correct?

Anyway I was looking for a 2.5TDI 180bhp to begin with but when I came across this I thought Mmmmm LPG it & I will have a nice V8 with diesel economy & all that power.

I looked at some figures online & it said that the 4.2 V8 gives a combined 21mpg so I figured take a few mpg off for the lower efficiency of LPG & double it as it's half price should give you equal to 36mpg. Isn't that about the same mpg as a 2.5TDI 180bhp?

Anyone got one of these on LPG as it needs real ownership to truly confirm what it returns in real life?

2. Herald

Herald New Member

I have a 2004 4.2 allroad. I'd love to get 21mpg out of it. Mine does 15-16 around town and 19 on a run at 90-95mph or 23 at 70-75mph. I know as a write down every drop of fuel that goes through it and have 15000 miles or records. Would I have another one? You bet, it's a V8 and you forgive it everything when you hear it.

3. Mudplugger

Mudplugger Member

I'd advise you to do some very careful research into the life expectancy of valves & seats, without the lubrication effects of petrol in there.

Many DIY (i.e. not original manufacturer) LPG converted cars tend to need expensive cylinder head work after 50,000-60,000 miles, and the cost of that far outweighs whatever you think you may save in fuel costs (even before factoring in the cost of the conversion).

I was at one point considering a LPG-converted 2.7T Allroad, but no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find a single example of one that had covered a proper mileage (i.e. at least 100,000) after conversion on which to base a decision.

I'm very happy with my 2.5 TDI Allroad :)

4. reggieroo

reggieroo Member

I too looked at several LPG converted 2.7t allroads but none looked any good so I bought a 2002 2.5TDI allroad a few months back & love it, especially now the bad weather is here. I also have a LPG V8 Range Rover classic that only runs on LPG & no problems what so ever with it on LPG for the last few years. I plan on getting the petrol system back up & running one day, as I'm sure it won't be helping having no petrol to lubricate but it does show that it is not as much of a problem as people think.

5. The Slug

The Slug Active Member
    VCDS Map User

Standard S6 4.2 V8 is 340bhp.....i think the A6 variant is just under 300??

6. a6george

a6george Member

to run lpg the valves and valve seats have to be hardened, if the engine can run unleaded it has a good chance to be able to run lpg as it was the lead in petrol that acted like a cushion for the valves and seats. lpg runs hotter and so eats plugs,( put platinium plugs in). but if you get a good system and get it tuned/serviced at regular intervals you cant tell the difference between petrol and gas. I had a 3.2v6 frontera on gas and had no probs with apart from running a bit hot in summer, but I changed antifreeze/summer coolant mix to 50/50 and that sorted it. if I was going to change anything I would of put tanks underneath or in the case of the A6 put dougnut tank in spare wheel well.