1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 4.2 Gearbox issue

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by Ianmanchester, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Ianmanchester

Ianmanchester Member

[Jul 8, 2010]
    Hi All,

I have a A6 4.2 '99, I have owned the car for 2 years. The tiptronic gear box appears to function perfectly, no rough changes etc, however when stationery and I try to select 3 or 2 on the gear selector, it wont go in. It feels as though there is resistance to the leaver. on the dashboard the car realises what I am doing and does show 4 when I select 4, but never shows 3 because of the physical resistance I speak of.

Any ideas?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Ianmanchester

Ianmanchester Member

[Jul 8, 2010]
    looks like i have posted this twice, can someone in admin delete this one.. thanks.
  4. Ianmanchester

Ianmanchester Member

[Aug 22, 2010]
    To follow on from the shifting gear issue, I have now taken the trim off the autobox selector (chrome trim) to expose the mechanism. I was hoping to find something jammed, but everything seems to be ok. I am still unable to select 3 or 2.

Is there a cable that goes from the gearbox selector to the autobox? or is it all electronic and operated by a control module. I have scanned the gearbox for faults using Vag com - this has come back with no faults.

Thanks.