1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A6 4.2 Gearbox issue

Ianmanchester Jul 8, 2010

1. Ianmanchester

Ianmanchester Member

Hi All,

I have a A6 4.2 '99, I have owned the car for 2 years. The tiptronic gear box appears to function perfectly, no rough changes etc, however when stationery and I try to select 3 or 2 on the gear selector, it wont go in. It feels as though there is resistance to the leaver. on the dashboard the car realises what I am doing and does show 4 when I select 4, but never shows 3 because of the physical resistance I speak of.

Any ideas?

2. Ianmanchester

Ianmanchester Member

looks like i have posted this twice, can someone in admin delete this one.. thanks.

3. Ianmanchester

Ianmanchester Member

To follow on from the shifting gear issue, I have now taken the trim off the autobox selector (chrome trim) to expose the mechanism. I was hoping to find something jammed, but everything seems to be ok. I am still unable to select 3 or 2.

Is there a cable that goes from the gearbox selector to the autobox? or is it all electronic and operated by a control module. I have scanned the gearbox for faults using Vag com - this has come back with no faults.

Thanks.