A6 4.2 Accelerator Delay

MyHotRod

Reaction score
Bought an C5 A6 with a 4.2 and absolutly love it. It has 185,000 mi. and drives like it's just broken in. The only thing that took some getting used to is the slight lag when you first press the accelerator from a stop. It seems to lag just slightly. Does anyone have an explanation?
Also on occasion, I take off from a stop and it feels as if the car is starving for fuel. You press the accelerator harder and it will suddenly take off. Any ideas?
A few small problems... But oooohhh the power of the 4.2 is wonderfull.:jump:

fuel filter blockage? the car is drive by wire so it could be the accelerator pedal sensor you may need a new one.

I clicked on this post cause I was hoping to see something about the adjusting gas pedal or something---- seems I read something about some type of self adjusting thing that can be reset?? Like the Car adapts to your driving style......
I have the same complaint about my 4.2 and I havent had it long and it came with no manuals (Used of course)

I clicked on this post cause I was hoping to see something about the adjusting gas pedal or something---- seems I read something about some type of self adjusting thing that can be reset?? Like the Car adapts to your driving style......
I have the same complaint about my 4.2 and I havent had it long and it came with no manuals (Used of course)

Could well be, try disconneting the battery overnight, this may reset the ECU, worth a try!

Other than that all i can think of is it may need resetting via VAGCOM if indeed this is the issue.

my recently aquired S6 4.2 Avant (00 with 157k and about 80K on the engine) does exactly the same thing.

I recently upped from an A6 2.8V6 (1998) to a S6 4.2 with 82k genuine (2001). My S6 had the same symptoms as you guys. After removing the plastic trim across the inlet ports, I found the problem staring me in the face!

The offside manifold throttle actuator had disintegrated! These actuators are vacuum operated and when throttling up from idle they gently open the manifold butterflies, thus keeping the manifold vacuum up a little while before "the big air leak" caused by the main throttle fly-by-wire system opening takes place.

The disintegration also caused a P0 code (can't remember the number) pertaining to the secondary air pump, all caused by the vacuum pipe to the broken actuator being open to atmosphere. I replaced the actuator (£135) from Audi Trade Parts, but was reimbursed by the garage from whom the car had come a week or two previously. (USP Vehicles Ltd, Stratford Upon Avon . . . . Great people).

Problem sorted and don't these V8 units sound good as they pass 3000rpm!

Forgot to mention, the actuators live immediately behind where the cam pullies run, but in the centre of the V bank and are totally visible and accessable. Visually, they resemble a cruise control diaphragm. There's one for each bank of the V with large vacuum pipes fitted at the bottom of each actuator.

I hope this all makes sense.....