A6 2.4 warm up and info screen

Bayleaf

Reaction score
Just picked up my A6 a couple of days ago (1999 2.4 Se tiptronic Avant) and thorougherly loving my first venture into Audi motoring. Out of sight better then my previous Volvo V70! A couple of points I am not sure about though. According to the temperature gauge it takes for ever to warm up, something like 30 miles or more to get only near the 60 mark on the gauge. On short journeys it hardly moves at all. is this normal for these cars or is there a problem with the thermostat or sender? Also the drver info/sat nav screen between the dials on the instrement panel has blank lines running through it, making it difficult to read. I have been told there is a wide tape type cable which runns into the back of it and it is this that is faulty. Is this likely and is it a relatively easy repair.

your problems are not uncommon,

the tempreture problem sounds like the thermostat, which is a big job to complete, it is tucked away behind the cam belt.

the temp sensors are prone to failing and are cheap to replace so may be worth a try first, but from your description it sounds more like the 'stat.

the info display will require a new dash panel to replace, there is no cheap fix

sorry.
matt

Regarding the temp, could you be looking at the oil temp gauge by mistake? Mine acts in the same way as you describe.

Cheers - Graham

Thanks for the replies to this. Its deffo the water temp gauge. i think it may well be the sensors rather then the thermostat as it seems to get very hot under the bonnet, but with nothing at all showing on the gauge. The heater can blow red hot too. The oil temp gauge rises about a third of the way and stays pretty static from then on.